Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

For you suspension experts

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm really interested in lowering springs. Had Eibach on my BMW X1 (my departure vehicle). But the Eibachs were matched with some Bilstien shocks and struts. My question: I would expect stock springs were matched with the stock shocks and struts - the s&s (I'm assuming) were designed to ride at a certain height - what does it do to their life to compress them 1.5-2.0 inches more than they were designed for?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
To date I haven’t seen anything other than the occasional blown shock that can’t be attributed to the drop springs…more likely just Fords crappy shocks. I have over 40K on H&R’s with no issues.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Ford's stock dampers are velocity based not position based. Drop springs will have no effect on damping. The ride may be stiffer due to altered spring rate but there is only a single compression circuit and a single rebound circuit. The increase in spring rate "may" theoretically affect the rebound circuit as the increase in force could increase velocity and hence make the dampers feel less responsive to road conditions, but this is a 4500lb+ vehicle and we are splitting hairs at the limit of the suv's abilities. your tires will make a more noticable change to road feel than changing to drop springs will.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
To date I haven’t seen anything other than the occasional blown shock that can’t be attributed to the drop springs…more likely just Fords crappy shocks. I have over 40K on H&R’s with no issues.
You ever bottom-out on the H&Rs?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had H&R / Bilstein with my X1. Initially had H&R / Stock struts and shocks before Bilstein came out with replacements. I did not like the ride on stock struts/shocks. Went with Steeda's for my Explorer. Most have said the ride with just lowering springs is fine. That said, when and if Bilstein comes up with performance replacements, most of us will be going with those.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Bilsteins and lowering springs substantially changed the character of the X1. Also have DINAN stage 1 on it. Need to sell it - just haven't gotten around to it. Wife said I need to sell it before buying hardware for the ST.