Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

For those with 5star

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
What tune do you run?

I got the 87 Street / 91 Street / 91 performance / 94 performance (Which is NFG, no more 94 in town)

Was running the 91 performance and found it was almost too sensitive and in sport mode for the city... 0-speeding tickets all the time lol, went back to 91 street

I am assuming this is nothing more than TPS sensitivy? would they both be making the same power? I know the shift points are higher, hold gears a bit longer

Just curious is for example 15% TPS in performance the same as say 50% TPS in street? and WOT they both make the same power?

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I think on the performance tunes they add a little more timing to get a little more hp, and they are less forgiving with bad gas than a street or daily driver tune. It's more than just throttle response.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I am assuming this is nothing more than TPS sensitivy? would they both be making the same power? I know the shift points are higher, hold gears a bit longer

Just curious is for example 15% TPS in performance the same as say 50% TPS in street? and WOT they both make the same power?
The tunes will make the same power- the various "Drive modes" don't affect the tune per se. They are just modifiers to other elements like shift points, AWD engagement, Torque converter lockup, and throttle position. Remember that the throttle is no longer attached by a cable. What you once thought was the accelerator halfway to the floor can be 100% or WOT.

Just check out a stock ST in ECO vs Sport mode. The tune is the same (A/F ration, timing, boost (torque request), but the modifiers make it feel much faster. Particularly notice how when you let off in Sport mode you get a lot of engine braking while in ECO or even Normal mode, it'll coast. Which is why Sport mode is not the best mode for gas mileage.

Last edited:
Reactions
Just ask them to reduce tip-in on that tune. They can tackle it a few ways, but it’s not hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk