Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Flying Objects

Reactions
Was enjoying my cup of coffee at about 5:20 this morning when I heard a loud bang on the passenger side. Pulled over and found that the plastic molding on the right rear door had been ripped off along with a nice crease in the metal at the bottom of the door. Walked down the side walk to find my plastic molding in the middle of the road along with a 12" pry bar against the curb. Hope everyone else's morning went a little better than mine. IMG_2475.jpg

Reactions
Sorry that happened. Hoping it’s not one of the “peaceful protests” that did that since you found a pry bar there.

Reactions
Was enjoying my cup of coffee at about 5:20 this morning when I heard a loud bang on the passenger side. Pulled over and found that the plastic molding on the right rear door had been ripped off along with a nice crease in the metal at the bottom of the door. Walked down the side walk to find my plastic molding in the middle of the road along with a 12" pry bar against the curb. Hope everyone else's morning went a little better than mine. View attachment 1881
I’m cheesed just looking at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BlackJaxST
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
$143 for a new panel and some touch up paint which should be here in 3-5 business days. I'm hoping the aluminum will hold up while trying to reshape the hole where the pry bar hit so the panel will fit flush. Talked with the collision center manager and he said $150 to come from the back side and straighten it a little, welding if needed and paint it. Figured I'd go the cheaper route first of me trying to fix it being you'll never see it again unless you take the molding off.

Reactions
Something flew off a truck and hit my roof on the highway this afternoon on my way to work. Haven’t had a chance to look at it yet, but definitely not looking forward to it. I feel some of your pain.

Reactions
Something flew off a truck and hit my roof on the highway this afternoon on my way to work. Haven’t had a chance to look at it yet, but definitely not looking forward to it. I feel some of your pain.
You just can’t catch a break eh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BlackJaxST
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Oh man, hopefully it's not to bad. Let us know if we can help with anything.

Reactions
Damn! I wouldn’t want to look! Hope that works okay for you.

Reactions
Didn’t work as bad as I expected or as good as I hoped. Suffice it to say I will be having some repairs.

Reactions
Took my kid to karate at the park and was sitting on a bench watching as a Mom pulled up in a Subaru and rubbed my left front fender with her right side passenger door. My ST is 2 weeks new...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
The doors are actually steel, so there should be no issue fixing the hole.

OP
BlackJaxST
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Took my kid to karate at the park and was sitting on a bench watching as a Mom pulled up in a Subaru and rubbed my left front fender with her right side passenger door. My ST is 2 weeks new...

Dennis.

Insert face in palm. Hopefully you have a good body shop around.

Reactions
Insert face in palm. Hopefully you have a good body shop around.
I'm tempted to let a mobile bumper guy clean it up as opposed to a body shop taking the whole bumper off and replacing it... Seems like that is much more risk to the overall new fit and finish than a professional buffing.

Dennis.

Reactions
I'm tempted to let a mobile bumper guy clean it up as opposed to a body shop taking the whole bumper off and replacing it... Seems like that is much more risk to the overall new fit and finish than a professional buffing.

Dennis.

You'll be surprise how much of that can be buffed off by a good detailer.

Reactions
You'll be surprise how much of that can be buffed off by a good detailer.
Had a mobile bumper repair guy come by and given the minor damage we agreed to preserve the original paint and he would just sand, buff, and polish with one minor touch up.

There was a 3/16" and two pinhole gouges to the plastic as well as around 3" of scrapes to the topcoat. He made the scrapes disappear 90% but could only touch up the longer gouge.

The Karate mom happily paid for it along with my tip. I am overall happy as worse damage could be easily done in any parking lot or my lousy driving.

Dennis.