Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fly wheel upgraded and car is struggling to start

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
Hey all this is @XPLR_DIS … so I had my flywheel upgraded and went to Mexico without doing any revisions or data logs for my tuner. When I came back from the vacation nine days later, a car battery was completely dead. I charge the battery and checked the voltage and it said 12.4 with the car running, I spoke to my tuner in my mechanic and I was told it could possibly be a crank relearn situation because the gears are also very rough, slipping and redlining in first gear as well as in 5/6th. My question is I’m not sure if this is all related to the battery or the flywheel I did perform a crank relearn through VCM scanner. HP tuners myself and I did state that the crank relearn was successful. The car seemed to start perfect the next morning until I try to start it again in the afternoon and it almost felt like the car was Stalling and struggling to start. Not sure if this could also be alternator issue. Has this happened to anyone else?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Kind of sounds like a charging system problem, though a bad battery can exhibit the same issues. Why did you change the flywheel? No idea why one would upgrade a flywheel on an automatic transmission.

OP
Xlordis

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #3
Upgraded flex plate * it’s been recommended that it gets changed when car power increases past 600 awhp

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine usually says 14.6V with the car running.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Upgraded flex plate * it’s been recommended that it gets changed when car power increases past 600 awhp
Sure…by people that want to sell you a flex plate like that idiot Daren used to.
Put a new battery in it…your issues will very likely go away.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, I wasn't calling you out on the terminology. We knew what you meant. I just haven't heard of any issues with the stock ones cracking.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Sure…by people that want to sell you a flex plate like that idiot Daren used to.
Agree +1

OP
Xlordis

Xlordis

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #8
New battery same issue ???? Can’t figure this out

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

Explorer ST Posts