Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Flex Pipe Upgrade

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
No more rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Those look like very nice ones. In my opinion a better design than the ones Ford chose to use on the Exploder. May I ask how much the flex joints cost by themself?

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Those look like very nice ones. In my opinion a better design than the ones Ford chose to use on the Exploder. May I ask how much the flex joints cost by themself?
Not sure. It was a cash job. Work order wasn’t detailed.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
jealous. I HATE the rattle...especially when a friend says "hey, nice ride" and then I start it up and it sounds like garbage! :)

my dealer said it's a known issue, so I'm just waiting on them to replace it or modify it.

Reactions
jealous. I HATE the rattle...especially when a friend says "hey, nice ride" and then I start it up and it sounds like garbage! :)

my dealer said it's a known issue, so I'm just waiting on them to replace it or modify it.
Do you possibly have any video of what it sounds like when rattling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

next time I do a cold start I'll try to remember to make a video. it only rattles for about 10-15seconds.

Reactions
The rattle is a recall item, I had mine replaced by the dealership.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I wonder if they would’ve warrantied mine with an aftermarket exhaust? My guess is no.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #10

Have someone blip the throttle while you look at the flex joints. It’s very obvious. You’ll see the joints vibrate then hear it rattle like metal on metal.

Reactions
I wonder if they would’ve warrantied mine with an aftermarket exhaust? My guess is no.

If you can show that the flex pipe was not impacted by your aftermarket exhaust, they should warranty it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don't think it's a recall item unless it's leaking. There's a TSB fir the rattle but it doesn't say to replace it, just to put on a clamp on each flex section (doesn't work). I suggested to Ron to get thermal to put out a midpipe that would work for stock exhaust. i would definitely buy one rather than go to an exhaust shop.

KegsBdry

Reactions
If you can show that the flex pipe was not impacted by your aftermarket exhaust, they should warranty it.
I too am thinking of pointing it out on it's next oil change at the dealership. There's a recall on these vehicles for 'rear view camera blue screen' anyways.

Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions
What size did you use for the flex pipe? I thought it was 2-1/4 but when I was about to cut mine off I measured 2-1/8 and I cant find that size anywhere.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Ford Boss (above) seems to say they have a new part for the mid pipe and the flex sections are improved. To me they look the same.

Reactions
Ford Boss (above) seems to say they have a new part for the mid pipe and the flex sections are improved. To me they look the same.
They are supposedly updated even though the look hasn’t changed. That ST in the video is a real early one with the two-in-to-one resonator, and seems like plenty of the later models with the “revised” exhaust haven’t had problems. My 2/20 build has been just fine too - no rattle.

Reactions
They are supposedly updated even though the look hasn’t changed. That ST in the video is a real early one with the two-in-to-one resonator, and seems like plenty of the later models with the “revised” exhaust haven’t had problems. My 2/20 build has been just fine too - no rattle.
My explorer 3/21 with the revised exhaust has had rattle issues. But they appeared after the downpipes so it’s probably self inflicted.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
No it’s not. Unfortunately. Dealing with issue right now.