Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Factory Blind Spot Mirrors

HAMM3R

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Nevermind. You guys love your BLIS.

Last edited:
Reactions
I drive a commercial truck for work and so I rely heavily on blind spot mirrors. Personally, I find the BLIS system to be useless.... I want to actually see what's next to me without turning my head, not just a silly LED. The aftermarket stick-on ones are fine, but I figured some of you may appreciate the clean look that factory blind spot mirrors offer.

I noticed the Police Interceptor models come from the factory with blind spot mirrors. I ordered the mirrors from the dealer and installed them. I'm very happy with the results. I hope this helps someone.
Disclaimer: I have a '21 XLT model, but I figured this forum was the best place for this info since you all are more likely to be the "enthusiasts" that would be interested in this mod.
Second disclaimer: This mod requires "mild" mechanical ability. It's certainly possible to damage something if you aren't careful.

View attachment 9778

Part numbers:
LB5Z-17K707-L (Left)
LB5Z-17K707-M (Right)
I paid $222.16 total

View attachment 9719 View attachment 9720

Removing the old mirrors can be tricky. I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos. Do it on a warm day to reduce risk of breaking the brittle plastic. Look closely at the new mirrors to identify the retention tabs. I tilted the mirror all the way down. Pryed up all 4 tabs on the top side while gently prying the mirror away from the housing. Once the top was loose I tilted the mirror all the way down. I pryed just one of the tabs on the bottom and the mirror came loose from the motor.

Right angle pick for prying
View attachment 9774

Push in the small tab in the middle of the BLIS connector and pull it out.
View attachment 9773

Pull both of the heater spade connectors off of the spades. They can require a fair bit of pulling to get them off but be gentle - pull from the female spade and not from the wire. You may also need to stabilize the male spade to prevent it pulling too hard on the grid.

You'll need to remove the BLIS LED from the old mirror and plug it into the harness connector, otherwise the ECM will throw a code. It's very easy to pry off the old mirror.
First pry off the reflective shield
View attachment 9775

Then repeat for the pcb.

I simply plugged in the tiny PCB to the harness connector and wrapped it in electrical tape.
View attachment 9776
View attachment 9777

Use your own judgement on this part. I don't fear corrosion issues since the connector isn't sealed anyway, and the current draw on this circuit is ~10mA. I tucked the wire and PCB into the back of the mirror housing through the slot the wires come through. Swap over the two metal tabs (only the driver's side had these). Install the new mirror. I started by lining up the bottom tabs and giving it a firm push until I felt it click into place. Then repeat for the top tabs. Tilt it up and down to inspect if tabs are secure.

View attachment 9781
I drove a 2018 interceptor for work with the fish eye and now I'm in one with the bliss. I much rather prefer the bliss. I've tested it next motorcycles and cars and it works every time. I'd keep the old mirror for when it's time to trade in. Nice work tho.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I always first thing add a convex mirror to my new vehicles. No reason to lose the BLIS though. The moment a vehicle disappears from the main mirror, the BLIS lights up. But before then the vehicle has appeared in the convex, and continues to show until passed. The BLIS just adds to the notice. 20220131_150127.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

HAMM3R

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
If I'm going to look at the mirror, I might as well actually see what is next to me instead of just a tiny light. I see no use for the BLIS. Maybe it's just truck driving habits, but I am regularly checking my mirrors and taking inventory of all the vehicles around me. I don't just look at the mirror when I want to change lanes.

...and if a vehicle disappears from your main mirror before it appears in your convex mirror then your mirror is not installed properly. There should be overlay.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
If I'm going to look at the mirror, I might as well actually see what is next to me instead of just a tiny light. I see no use for the BLIS. Maybe it's just truck driving habits, but I am regularly checking my mirrors and taking inventory of all the vehicles around me. I don't just look at the mirror when I want to change lanes.

...and if a vehicle disappears from your main mirror before it appears in your convex mirror then your mirror is not installed properly. There should be overlay.
There is a lot of overlap with the convex. I said the BLIS waits until it is gone from the main mirror, not the convex. That is why I have the convex. Again, BLIS just adds to it. Also, proper add-on mirrors are as big or bigger than the factory convex. Note my picture.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yeah to me the convex mirror looks the same as the regular mirror. I couldn't stand having it in my police car. It was totally useless.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I just aim my side mirrors a little further out to cover the blind spot. A real separate convex like on a set of large truck mirrors is valuable, but a 1" to 2" mirror taking up space on the regular mirror is just an obstruction. But each their own. I like the mirrors on the ST.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just aim my side mirrors a little further out to cover the blind spot. A real separate convex like on a set of large truck mirrors is valuable, but a 1" to 2" mirror taking up space on the regular mirror is just an obstruction. But each their own. I like the mirrors on the ST.
Yeah I have no issues either. If it lights up, I don’t even bother looking. I wait. Once the light isn’t lit, I manually check with my head. Simple.

OP
H

HAMM3R

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Maybe I'm an oddity - after many years of driving every day with no rearview mirror, I've built a much higher reliance on the side mirrors. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons Interceptors have them... limited rear visibility.

Reactions
I have driven truck too, but driving the ST is much better than a large truck. You have to think of it as more of a sports car than a transport. You have a rear-view mirror and can stay ahead of most other four wheelers. Enjoy.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I love blind spot mirrors always have but also think the BLIS is a creature comfort straight from heaven. As far as Interceptors not having them, well... they don't have a number of the comforts the ST does. I'd like to have both given the option.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Maybe I'm an oddity - after many years of driving every day with no rearview mirror, I've built a much higher reliance on the side mirrors. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons Interceptors have them... limited rear visibility.
Those blind spot mirrors were common on all Fords for many years. Later vehicles that got the optional BLIS of course had them deleted because they put the light where the blind spot mirror was.