Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer top selling three row SUV

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I know some of the police versions don't exactly have 3 rows.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
https://fordauthority.com/2022/11/ford-explorer-sales-numbers-figures-results-third-quarter-2022-q3/

Glad to see the platform doing well. Definitely off to a rocky start a couple years ago. I am a bit surprised though. When all the car sites recommend the Hyundai Kia duo, I expected more numbers for them.

The only thing I don’t know is if this includes all the police versions. If so, then maybe not as significant.
That's great to here.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I know some of the police versions don't exactly have 3 rows.
They may not have 3 rows but it’s not like there are two and three row versions of the explorer. Just one. But either way still great for the explorer! Hope it continues.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hyundai/Kia might easily outsell the Explorer IF they could actually make enough to meet demand. Telluride and Palisade still command prices well above MSRP.

Another exciting entrant though is the Mazda CX90. More details should emerge in the next few weeks...

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Hyundai/Kia might easily outsell the Explorer IF they could actually make enough to meet demand. Telluride and Palisade still command prices well above MSRP.

Another exciting entrant though is the Mazda CX90. More details should emerge in the next few weeks...
Is that still an actual issue with them? It seems like the car shortage is over at this point. Largely at least. To the point no one should be paying over mrsp.

yeah I am excited for thr cx9. Mazda needs to step up it’s Powertrain to be more powerful if they want to complete along with the other luxury brands.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In my area, in demand vehicles still command "premiums" over MSRP. To me, these are everyday vehicles... I'm just glad I'm not in the market for a new car.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
https://fordauthority.com/2022/11/ford-explorer-sales-numbers-figures-results-third-quarter-2022-q3/

Glad to see the platform doing well. Definitely off to a rocky start a couple years ago. I am a bit surprised though. When all the car sites recommend the Hyundai Kia duo, I expected more numbers for them.

The only thing I don’t know is if this includes all the police versions. If so, then maybe not as significant.
From the article:

"For Explorer sales figures are comprised of the Ford Explorer and its police-duty variant, the Ford Police Interceptor Utility. In the past, Police Interceptor Utility sales were reported as a separate line item, but Ford is now folding its sales into the Explorer line item. "

I'm sure a significant portion of those sales are LE sales. Still good for the brand.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
From the article:

"For Explorer sales figures are comprised of the Ford Explorer and its police-duty variant, the Ford Police Interceptor Utility. In the past, Police Interceptor Utility sales were reported as a separate line item, but Ford is now folding its sales into the Explorer line item. "

I'm sure a significant portion of those sales are LE sales. Still good for the brand.
Dang I swore I read it thoroughly. But yeah agreed!

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
In my area, in demand vehicles still command "premiums" over MSRP. To me, these are everyday vehicles... I'm just glad I'm not in the market for a new car.
For sure. That and with the interest rates being so high.

Maven

Reactions
Vehicle
2016 Explorer
When I looked for an new car after my 2016 explorer, I can't look on so "modern" design of Kia/Hyundai. I think they can't now outsell the Explorer

Reactions

The unfortunate side is Hyundi/Kia/Mazda will put you to sleep just looking at them.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
The unfortunate side is Hyundi/Kia/Mazda will put you to sleep just looking at them.
I actually really like all their designs, even the updated Palisade.

The Korean cousins will put you to sleep driving them though. If you want to be completely isolated from any notion of "driving experience" ... than those are the cars for you.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If someone is bringing up the Korean models, I recently saw a GV70 on the road, and (to my eyes at least), it is a looker! It's not a 3-row, but it does have the 3.5 twin turbo, 0-60 in 4.6 and the 1/4 in 13.5 (all Car and Driver).

Reactions
If someone is bringing up the Korean models, I recently saw a GV70 on the road, and (to my eyes at least), it is a looker! It's not a 3-row, but it does have the 3.5 twin turbo, 0-60 in 4.6 and the 1/4 in 13.5 (all Car and Driver).
IMO, all the recent Genesis GV70/80, G80, etc have been looking great with good optional power!

Too bad their service dept is still crappy and nowhere near the customer service that American/German luxury brings

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 EP
I actually really like all their designs, even the updated Palisade.

The Korean cousins will put you to sleep driving them though. If you want to be completely isolated from any notion of "driving experience" ... than those are the cars for you.
The Mazda is the best driver of them all.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The Mazda is the best driver of them all.
Well, not quite since around 2015 or so. Mazda has lost their way in the literally stupid push for “green” vehicles. I’m a Ford & Mazda guy. I’ve owned several Mx5 Miatas (I supercharged the 2003 LS), a couple of 6s (including 2007 Speed6) and several CX9s. My last Mazdas were a 2016 and a 2019 CX9.

The range of seat adjustment is inadequate to suit me. I added 1/2” stack of washers under the front bolts, but it still was not comfortable.

The heated steering wheel is only heated at the 3 & 9 positions. WTF? “They” decided that’s the best place for your hands…

The safety nannies can’t be turned off. It almost crashed me when I was passing another vehicle on 70mph interstate Hwy when it jammed on the brakes as it thought I was closing to fast on the vehicle in front of me. I do like what the Mazda/Ford joint partnership produced in the early 2000s before 2013 or so when Ford left the partnership and Mazda looked at Toyota for ideas.

Like I said, Mazda has truly lost their direction, and my interest in their vehicles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 EP
Stupid push for green vehicles? They have no hybrids and one EV which is basically a compliance car…

The SkyActiv engines are top notch and their chassis have the best steering feel and suspension tuning of every crossover short of the Germans. Most would argue the splitting of Mazda from Ford was one of the best things to happen for the brand. From sales volumes, to vehicle quality, and driving dynamics; the gains support that they have been better since the split.

I will agree the steering wheel heating was a miss. I too found it annoying that the 12 and 6 positions did not have heating. As far as I experienced, the driving aids could be turned off, but like other brands, they need to be turned off after every ignition cycle. I did fall victim multiple times to phantom braking, especially, when a car was turning in front of me and it thought I would rear end them. However, that experience was not agnostic to Mazda, it is one of the few negatives/side effects of AEB.

I can’t speak for the seats. I personally had no issues and found them just good enough.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Stupid push for green vehicles? They have no hybrids and one EV which is basically a compliance car…

The SkyActiv engines are top notch and their chassis have the best steering feel and suspension tuning of every crossover short of the Germans. Most would argue the splitting of Mazda from Ford was one of the best things to happen for the brand. From sales volumes, to vehicle quality, and driving dynamics; the gains support that they have been better since the split.

I will agree the steering wheel heating was a miss. I too found it annoying that the 12 and 6 positions did not have heating. As far as I experienced, the driving aids could be turned off, but like other brands, they need to be turned off after every ignition cycle. I did fall victim multiple times to phantom braking, especially, when a car was turning in front of me and it thought I would rear end them. However, that experience was not agnostic to Mazda, it is one of the few negatives/side effects of AEB.

I can’t speak for the seats. I personally had no issues and found them just good enough.
I certainly don’t “hate” Mazda. In fact, I’m just really disappointed in their superfluous engineering. Well, they’re engines too. The Skyactives are certainly decent power plants, but really have nothing to offer for performance. My later CX9s had the 2.5 turbocharged 4 with good initial power, then nothing. Mazda designed the engine to prevent any help from the aftermarket. They threw away the Zoom Zoom for ho-hum clones of toyota and similar ilk. They’ve lost the real driver status. The Mazda “driving aids” can be turned off while sitting still, but automatically turn back on once moving at ~15mph. FYI, the AEB can be turned off and remain off on Ford vehicles. If Mazda decides to build something like the previous MazdaSpeed 3/6, then I will consider another Mazda. I do like the NB MX5s, but I can’t accept the new Mazda compromises.

Mazda is catering to a different generation of people more interested/excited by phones and video games rather than real high performance motorsports as in previous decades. The only reason I own a Ford Explorer is the ST version with decent power and the tuning capability.

Last edited: