Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Bulb Chart

Reactions
explorer-st-bulb-chart.jpg
bulb-chart.png
Daytime running lamps. LED LED
Headlamp low beam. LED LED
Headlamp high beam (halogen). 9005LL 55
Headlamp high beam (LED). LED LED
Front fog lamps. LED LED
Side direction indicator. LED LED
Rear side marker lamp. LED LED
Brake and rear lamp. LED LED
Central high mounted brake lamp. LED LED
Rear direction indicator. 3757NAK, PY27/7W
Reversing lamps. W21W 21
License plate lamp. W5W 5

Glove compartment lamp. 194 4
Interior lamp. W5W 5
Vanity mirror lamp. A6224PF -
Overhead console lamp. W5W 5
Rear dome lamp. LED LED
Luggage compartment lamp. LED LED

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Disappointed that there are incandescent bulbs in the rear for turn signals, reverse lights, and license plate lights. Love the full LEDs in the front.

Reactions
Any idea if the Rear direction indicator. WY21W 21 is clear or amber? Trying to get an order in but don’t feel like taking everything out of the back to get to the bulb.

OHST

Reactions
Any idea if the Rear direction indicator. WY21W 21 is clear or amber? Trying to get an order in but don’t feel like taking everything out of the back to get to the bulb.
They are amber.

Here's a how to in case you need to remove the rear housing.

Reactions
Going out on a limb but does the “Y” in WY21W indicate that it’s amber/yellow? I ordered all LED replacements for the non-LED lights last night. Hoping they make it look more complete.

Reactions
I am more bothered by the sealed headlight assembly that requires costly full replacement, not just the halogen bulb.

Reactions
I am more bothered by the sealed headlight assembly that requires costly full replacement, not just the halogen bulb.
I think most manufacturers are leaning towards this trend. My wife's Kia Stinger is the same, the headlight assembly is completely sealed so you can't even change the front LED bulbs without going to the dealer.

Reactions
Going out on a limb but does the “Y” in WY21W indicate that it’s amber/yellow? I ordered all LED replacements for the non-LED lights last night. Hoping they make it look more complete.
That is correct. There's even an "R" designation for red as well.

Reactions
I received all my bulbs today and I am happy with all but the WY21W signal bulbs. They’re just not what I thought they’d be. They came with a load resister that you need to splice into the existing wires and then attach it to metal so it doesn’t melt anything plastic. That leaves me only one choice: screw it into the bod my panel. Not a fan. I’ll be returning them. Anyone know of a better alternative to anti hyper flash bulbs?

Attachments

Reactions
I received all my bulbs today and I am happy with all but the WY21W signal bulbs. They’re just not what I thought they’d be. They came with a load resister that you need to splice into the existing wires and then attach it to metal so it doesn’t melt anything plastic. That leaves me only one choice: screw it into the bod my panel. Not a fan. I’ll be returning them. Anyone know of a better alternative to anti hyper flash bulbs?
Get these for the rear turn signals, they have the resistors built-in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5TJV5P

OP
robbybenson
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Hey guys, I just received some reply notifications in this thread and thought I go in here and correct some of the errors.

The rear turn signal bulbs are 3757NAK, PY27/7W and not WY21W. See the revised bulb chart on the first post.

Reactions
Get these for the rear turn signals, they have the resistors built-in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5TJV5P

Thanks for the heads up on the turn signal replacements!

A few questions come to mind though. Where do you mount the stabilizing resistor? Is there enough room in the housing to place it, or does it need to be mounted somewhere else?

Last edited:
Reactions
Thanks for the heads up on the turn signal replacements!

A few questions come to mind though. Where to you mount the stabilizing resistor? Is there enough room in the housing to place it, or does it need to be mounted somewhere else?
Don't worry there is plenty of room behind the tail light housing, you can use some electric tape if you want to attach it to the housing so that it doesn't move.

Reactions
Reactions
Reactions
I know you said to get them, but did you already install these on your car and they work/fit fine? Or waiting for them to come in?
Got them already and they work fit just fine.

Reactions
Do you know if the resistor gets hot? Will there be melting issues if wrapped with tape around other plastic parts/wires?
It comes with a case that keeps the resistors from melting the plastic.

Reactions
First post- been following everyone for a couple weeks now.

I replaced the license plate bulbs and reverse lights. Here is a very poor photo of the reverse lights. Once it’s dark out, I’ll come back with another. 5BAC446C-97DF-4BD2-B087-B3CF91B04478.jpeg