Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust Sounds Through Speakers?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I was talking with another ST owner and he told me Ford programs exhaust sounds to play through the speakers! Any truth to that? I tried turning off the radio and listening but I didn't hear it. I think it's BS.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Fake Engine Noise Generator is the common term. FENG for short. It’s real and you have it until it gets turned off. Not sure if Forscan can do that yet but a tuner definitely can.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You can tune off FENG with Forscan.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
You absolutely can turn it off with Forscan. Finally did it a couple weeks ago and don't know why I waited so long to do it!

As soon as you turn it off Broose, you'll notice right away the next you drive it. Night and Day.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Also, it's only in SPORT mode. You won't hear any fake exhaust in other modes.

hbalek

Reactions
Also, it's only in SPORT mode. You won't hear any fake exhaust in other modes.
I still hear it in other modes it's just louder in Sport Mode. When I accelerate fast in normal mode it's definitely a fake sound.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #7
That's so corny! I will definately have it turned off when I order my tune! I've never heard of it so I thought the guy was BSing me. I told him how I wish I could hear the turbo's like the diesels but he said they are too small and quiet. I ordered the SPD Down Pipes and the Thermal 3" cat-back and was hoping to hear them at least a little bit.

hbalek

Reactions
That's so corny! I will definately have it turned off when I order my tune! I've never heard of it so I thought the guy was BSing me. I told him how I wish I could hear the turbo's like the diesels but he said they are too small and quiet. I ordered the SPD Down Pipes and the Thermal 3" cat-back and was hoping to hear them at least a little bit.
A lot of car companies, not just Ford, have had the fake engine noise for years. My 2.0 liter Ecoboost 4 cylinder in my 2013 MKZ had this too and it was louder in sport mode as well. And now with EV's it's even more common than before. I believe BMW was doing it before Ford started 10 plus years ago.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
It can be toggled off in Forscan under the ACM menu. First thing I did to mine when I got it.

norseman

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Toggled mine off today, very simple with Forscan in the ACM module (do not edit as built one). The option is enable or disable. Best $75 bucks spent so far, the 22 ST sounds good now. Next upgrade will be the Steeda rear differential brace.

HAP

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is the Steeda differential brace, the one with 4 bolts supporting the rear diff?

norseman

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I think actually it's a heavier, upgraded two bolt mount. After 2021, Ford went to the 1 bolt for most. From what I've read the one bolt factory mount has a lot of problems. I'm installing as "feel good" insurance just for my own peace of mind. Looks like a pretty simple diy install.

Attachments

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
You absolutely can turn it off with Forscan. Finally did it a couple weeks ago and don't know why I waited so long to do it!

As soon as you turn it off Broose, you'll notice right away the next you drive it. Night and Day.
Do you have the data line for forscsn

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Do you have the data line for forscsn
ACM 727-01-01 xxxx-xxxx-*x
Either 0, 2, 4 or 6 will disable the Software ESE (Engine Sound Enhancement) depending on your As Built for the other 2 items in that address.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
ACM 727-01-01 xxxx-xxxx-*x
Either 0, 2, 4 or 6 will disable the Software ESE (Engine Sound Enhancement) depending on your As Built for the other 2 items in that address.
thanks