Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust Question

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I'm getting the SPD Down Pipes with my tune and an MBR axle back exhaust. I was going to do the X-Pipe but I'm affraid of the drone that might come with it. Does anyone have any experience with this they can share? I did search but couldn't find anything specific to this. Mostly just Cat-Back branded systems.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I'm not part of the group yet so it won't let me in. I was just reading about the Thermal RD exhaust but they all come with mufflers and not an X-Pipe. They also are expensive! I was going to just do the axle-back without mufflers but I just read a post where someone said they get a lot of drone after intalling them! I'm so confused about what to get for an exhaust. I like the deep throaty sound as aposed to the higher tone. I know it's not a V8 but my truck is a V6 and it sounds great with just a Magnaflow X-Flow muffler and duals out back. Of course it is a 4.0 and not a 3.0 but that shouldn't matter much.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I was just reading about the Thermal RD exhaust but they all come with mufflers and not an X-Pipe.

x pipe does not get rid of mufflers it goes in place of the resonator, mufflers are on the end with the exhaust tips coming out. Would not recommend just chopping the mufflers off. Also 4.0 vs a 3.0tt makes a lot of difference

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
x pipe does not get rid of mufflers it goes in place of the resonator, mufflers are on the end with the exhaust tips coming out. Would not recommend just chopping the mufflers off. Also 4.0 vs a 3.0tt makes a lot of difference
OK, my bad. It looks like a muffler in the photo. I wasn't going to cut off the mufflers. The axle back kit I was looking at does not have any muffler as per the photos. Is that not recommended?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
So now I'm looking at this exhaust instead: MBRP Cat-Back Would this be a good set up?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I personally havent heard that one in person but have seen others on here get rid of that set up for the thermal. I think the thermal is "only" like 300 more on lethal performance. But I also know plenty of people are happy with the mbrp. To each their own, personally I enjoy my setup which is different than most and happy I went with it over the thermal.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Save your pennies until you can get one of the Thermal R&D's. I think you'll be happy that you did somewhere down the road.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Save your pennies until you can get one of the Thermal R&D's. I think you'll be happy that you did somewhere down the road.
I just wanted to purchase one order through ZFG Racing but if the Thermal is that much better I will just go with that. I had hoped more people would comment on their own experience and what they run.

Since the SPD Down Pipes are 3" I guess I should go with the 3" exhaust rather than the 2 1/2" right?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I'm getting the SPD Down Pipes with my tune and an MBR axle back exhaust. I was going to do the X-Pipe but I'm affraid of the drone that might come with it. Does anyone have any experience with this they can share? I did search but couldn't find anything specific to this. Mostly just Cat-Back branded systems.
With that axle back and an x pipe it will be a straight pipe. Will sound horrible and be loud and drone a lot.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
2.5 vs 3 is just for sound difference apparently the system is just as efficient in flow either way.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Ok, from all I've read, I am going with the SPD 3" Down Pipes and the Thermal R&D 3" Cat-Back. I wanted black tips but I can cut off the chrome/polished tips and weld on some black ones.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
They sell it with black tips or you could paint the stainless steel ones black. Also the tips come off no need for cutting/welding if you dont want to paint you could buy new. 1692902873524.png

Reactions
Ok, from all I've read, I am going with the SPD 3" Down Pipes and the Thermal R&D 3" Cat-Back. I wanted black tips but I can cut off the chrome/polished tips and weld on some black ones.
I've been running the 2.5 from thermal for over 2 years and I still love the sound of a cold start and when you get on it. My wife doesn't complain about the sound and there's no done at all. I've since added the whoosh Motorsports down pipes and it's only a little louder since. The thermal kit was easy to install and I did it in the driveway on a set of ramps in about an hour as well

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Thank you! I didn't even see those! I just added them to my cart and will be pulling the trigger.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I've been running the 2.5 from thermal for over 2 years and I still love the sound of a cold start and when you get on it. My wife doesn't complain about the sound and there's no done at all. I've since added the whoosh Motorsports down pipes and it's only a little louder since. The thermal kit was easy to install and I did it in the driveway on a set of ramps in about an hour as well
I have the same setup (but CVF downpipes) and absolutely love the sound. I get a lot of compliments when I drive it.

I was really happy with the Gibson setup I had on it prior to actually modding the truck, and was planning on keeping them on until Thermal decided to run a smoking deal on their 2.5” system

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
I've had them on for a while now and have to say I am very happy! It does get loud when you get into it but if your just driving normal it quiet. It has a nice sporty sound. I've got a few compliments so far about the sound and the look.