Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust on Cold Startup

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2021 with just over 14,000 miles. Because it’s cold in the morning, I will often start it and let it run for a few minutes. I’ve noticed that it produces what seems to be an excessive amount of exhaust.
it’s white, and appears to have a sulfur sort of smell. In other words, it doesn’t seem like it is “burning” anything. But, I don’t think I’ve ever had another vehicle that seems to produce that much exhaust even on a cold morning.
I’ve seen posts about exhaust after sitting, but this is something that happens every day. Any ideas?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s normal…and worse in cold weather.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Same thing here at -25 to -35 C. I am not noticing the sulfur smell.

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
It’s not really strong.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I did a quick web check... "broken or leaking catalytic converter " could cause that type of smell.
In cold weather you can see exhaust leaks very clearly. Anyway, something to look into.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I did a quick web check... "broken or leaking catalytic converter " could cause that type of smell.
In cold weather you can see exhaust leaks very clearly. Anything something to look into.
Normal smell on a cold start…as is steam coming out of the exhaust. The colder it is the more steam and the longer the smell will last.

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks folks. That’s comforting.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine got worse and worse since the first year and at 3 years had my catalytic converter replaced on the driver's side. Now I'm happy to report no more exhaust smell even on cold days.