Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust Noise Issues

Reactions
I had my shop custom weld on the woven type of flex pipes and cut off the old ones I’m not sure of the specific size because he measured the old ones and replaced it. No more rattle at all. Didn’t take any pics unfortunately and can’t take a video with all the snow under the car at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phileas

Reactions
Lucky you with the snow we don't get that in Washington state, bummer :) Well, I am dealing with the dealer right now. They are taking the car in on Monday for a second time after the TSB "fix" to potentially replace the RH exhaust pipe but they are looking for a permanent fix. The welding solution with the flex removal, they don't want to do as it is voiding the factory warranty I am told. Not sure if it's true or not. Originally, they really weren't interested to help but after pushing a bit I can see some cooperation there. They compared with an another ST and seems it wasn't present so they took back their "normal operation" bullshit and they will have a closer look for a repair. It's so much fighting with them it's unbelievable. I really love the car, it has many flaws (as many other brands including premium ones) but this rattle and vibrations I cannot stand them so doing everything to get it fixed. I'll keep you guys posted. And BTW @Yungty718 your black ops style ST look sick, really like it!

gfx42

Reactions
My 2020 Explorer ST has a cracked catalytic converter also. The dealer is sending pictures to Ford to see if they will pay for it as they’ve never seen this before. All I can say is this best be paid for!
AND my rear defroster is peeling off but that should be another thread.

hbalek

Reactions
My 2020 Explorer ST has a cracked catalytic converter also. The dealer is sending pictures to Ford to see if they will pay for it as they’ve never seen this before. All I can say is this best be paid for!
AND my rear defroster is peeling off but that should be another thread.
How many miles do you have? Mine at 13,000 miles started making a rattling and fluttering noise on cold idle and the cabin fills with exhaust fumes. I called the dealer and told them I would bring it in soon. Right now I'm grateful for auto engine stop so I don't smell fumes!

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Ford finally put out a Bulletin on the exhaust noises. I had it performed, it did nothing. It was simply two clamps. I took the vehicle back and as we knew, the root cause is the flex pipe and mesh covers below the driver and passenger seats. Ford says they have no fix and would do nothing further. However, through a very good service advisor and tech at the dealership, they modified the exhaust by simply cutting out the flex pipe and mesh covers, replacing with straight hard pipe. The vehicle has 22K miles and sounded awful. With the conversion...bad vibration gone, annoying rattling gone, very smooth and quiet, and the performance remains the same. Since Ford warranty would not cover, I did pay $70 for the fix, but would have paid $300 I was so disgusted. Could not be happier with the result.
View attachment 2046
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a flex joint? Is this repair still holding up?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a flex joint? Is this repair still holding up?
It should still flex but it doesn't sound like the fix has worked to well.

Blmcnutt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Mine had a horrible metal-on-metal rattling sound the day I drove it home. Determined it was outside, driver's side, in the very rear. Crawled under there to find 1/4" gap between the last exhaust hanger and the body.

The bolt would not tighten. I worried that the body insert was stripped. So I chased the 8Mx1.25 threads anyway and crossed my fingers. The long bolt then threaded in all the way. So I put on some blue thread-lock and tightened it just past snug (about spark plug tight), so as not to risk stripping the threads any further.

Been all good so far. Pic of everything I used to effect the repair.

View attachment 1284
My bracket has broken on both sides. Does anyone have a replacement part number?

honhon

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I had this rattle and I bought the lethal performance mid pipes… they use similar flex joints but they are a lot shorter.

the issue is the flex joints are so long from the factory that the engine vibrations cause so much leverage the oem joints rattle around a lot more.

Also the lethal performance pipes are slightly shorter in length and what I did is installed them under slight pressure so the Dow pipes are pushing on the mid pipes and the exhaust system is pushing slightly back toward the front of the vehicle… essentially slightly “squishing” the flex joints…

I have a few videos in my YouTube to help a little

https://youtube.com/@Super_64?feature=shared