Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Engine vibrating noise at idle

Reactions
Had our ST a day or so now and the wifey and I have both noticed this little engine has alot of noise at idle (kinda sounds like a vibrating noise) goes away at any throttle input but idle def has that vibrating sense to it. We are both use to big V8 stuff so not sure if this is something common with these o maybe we have an issue?? Appreciate any input

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like the flex pipes in the exhaust. Fords “fix” is putting hose clamps around them. Look underneath just aft of the downpipes and you’ll see them. If that’s the source you can either wait all day at Ford or slap 2 bucks worth of 3.25” worm drive hose clamps around them in the middle and be done with it.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like the flex pipes in the exhaust. Fords “fix” is putting hose clamps around them. Look underneath just aft of the downpipes and you’ll see them. If that’s the source you can either wait all day at Ford or slap 2 bucks worth of 3.25” worm drive hose clamps around them in the middle and be done with it.
$2 worth of clamps it is! Thank you!

Reactions
Had the same issue, really bad with a cold start. It was the exhaust rattling underneath and they are fixing with clamps (but everything seems to be back ordered)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Had the same issue, really bad with a cold start. It was the exhaust rattling underneath and they are fixing with clamps (but everything seems to be back ordered)
They’re using standard worm drive hose clamps available at any auto parts or hardware store. You can fix it yourself in less than 5 minutes for less than 5 bucks.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Then again, the injectors are noisy as hell at idle. Kind of an Ecoboost signature trait..

Reactions
Do you have pictures to show exactly where to place these clamps? I put one on each flex hose,, but still have the vibration at 1400 to 1500 rpm.

Reactions
Is it me or does the engine sound extremely loud on very cold days? My garage isn't conditioned and we live down in the woods a little bit, so it can get cold as hell in our garage in the winter.

Reactions
Do you have pictures to show exactly where to place these clamps? I put one on each flex hose,, but still have the vibration at 1400 to 1500 rpm.
@Kruppa posted a video somewhere here a while ago, dind't find it sorry. There's also this thread with the actual TSB and torque spec (2.7Nm): https://www.explorerst.org/threads/spd-performance-downpipes.588/page-6#post-10526

Note: I too still have the loud vibrating/rattle on the Driver side one even after installing the worm clamps.

hbalek

Reactions
@Kruppa posted a video somewhere here a while ago, dind't find it sorry. There's also this thread with the actual TSB and torque spec (2.7Nm): https://www.explorerst.org/threads/spd-performance-downpipes.588/page-6#post-10526

Note: I too still have the loud vibrating/rattle on the Driver side one even after installing the worm clamps.
Same here and more exhaust fumes along with the rattling. I had it checked and they ordered a new flex pipe after they saw it rattling on the lift. I have to get it installed soon. I did notice that when the temperatures recently rose about 45 degrees and up to 75 recently, the rattling was less severe and no longer had the abnormal exhaust smell. Someone told me the active grill shutters close on cold starts and he has noticed fumes also on his Focus ST. That may be true but also on remote starts I have more noise and smell on cold days and I suspect it is the HVAC auto setting cranking the fan speeds on all vents front and back. When I sat inside the vehicle and started on a cold day using the interior dashboard start button, there was less exhaust rattle and smell too!