Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Engine overheated & coolant leak?!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I had a scare the other day, the engine abruptly overheated and the dash started yelling at me after completing a 1/4 mile run.

Upon pulling over I noticed the signature coolant smell and coolant on the freshly washed car. I popped the hood and saw what looked to have been a coolant explosion.

I panicked and called roadside assistance and got it towed to the dealership. This morning they said the coolant hose to oil cooler came off.

They pressure tested the coolant system and found coolant leaking from an oil cooler hose. The inspected the hose and found the clamp not locked closed. So they locked the clamp to the hose, topped off the fluids and said it’s good to go.

Curious if anyone else has had this occur? Could it be due to high levels of boost, or maybe just a freak accident? Anyways figured it was worth sharing and asking about

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
So I had a scare the other day, the engine abruptly overheated and upon pulling over I noticed coolant leaking. I took it to the dealer ship and they said the coolant line to the engine oil popped off I guess. They replaced it, topped off the fluids and said it’s good to go. Curious if anyone else has had this occur? Could it be due to high levels of boost, or maybe just a freak accident? Anyways figured it was worth sharing and asking about
She sure looks pretty on that flatbed! Most likely an improperly tighened hose clamp, boost shouldn't cause that unless you were pushing it hard enough to overheat. Then the overheated coolant can cause a lot of pressure, but hopefully it's taken care of now. Thanks for sharing!

OP
BLucas86
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
She sure looks pretty on that flatbed! Most likely an improperly tighened hose clamp, boost shouldn't cause that unless you were pushing it hard enough to overheat. Then the overheated coolant can cause a lot of pressure, but hopefully it's taken care of now. Thanks for sharing!
First thanks for the compliment.

That morning I drove all of 3 miles to church and squeezed one 0-60 run in. Then sat there an hour, drove another couple miles to the car wash, then jumped on the freeway for 5 minutes or so. Pulled over and did a 1/4 mile pull. Got up to 107 and the damn sport mode “gear hold” initiated and as I was letting the engine slow itself down *PING* engine light and overheated notification.

So it’s possible it I pushed it too hard, but I only got 2 hard runs in. So I would think if that’s all that it takes to overheat it then something like a track day with the ST would be damn near impossible.

I mean literally One 0-60 and one 1/4 mile. The rest was standard driving with plenty of rest between, even a nice cold car wash ;)

Last edited:
Reactions
I put 7 or 8 runs down the track last friday night alone. Probably just wasn't tightened properly from the start.

OP
BLucas86
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I put 7 or 8 runs down the track last friday night alone. Probably just wasn't tightened properly from the start.
Ya probably a factory error, and it happened on the stock tune! I had just switched back from my GearHead Tune to get a stock baseline on my dradgy. Which is actually good because now I can’t blame the tune for it haha