Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ebay IC

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
I didn't want to be that blunt...could come down to a less knowledgeable installer unsure of what they're doing. Simple clip on youtube can show them they're trying too hard to do the install. With bumper removed for the repair its not even another hour to swap it out if your OCD like I was.
It's all good. I appreciate the responses.
I did send them a youtube tutorial giving a blow by blow. Hopefully, they'll follow along.

Reactions
The eBay intercooler is a direct copy of the Mishimoto. Not sure what the reviews are on that.

I did some digging and the intercooler is made by a company called CSK. They make intercoolers for several platforms, and lots of reviews are available if you search.

Honestly, it is tempting at that price. I normally wouldn't buy cheap parts, but an intercooler has no moving parts. As long as it doesn't leak, and mounts properly, it will do the job...

V3nom, where did you find the CVF for that price?

Last edited:
OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #23
The eBay intercooler is a direct copy of the Mishimoto. Not sure what the reviews are on that.

I did some digging and the intercooler is made by a company called CSK. They make intercoolers for several platforms, and lots of reviews are available if you search.

Honestly, it is tempting at that price. I normally wouldn't buy cheap parts, but an intercooler has no moving parts. As long as it doesn't leak, and mounts properly, it will do the job...

I might have reconsidered if I had known it was a Mishimoto copy. Only problem is it ships from China and I was on a timeframe. Was taking advantage of having the bumper off to shave installation costs.

I know, V3non3non got an incredible deal!

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I might have reconsidered if I had known it was a Mishimoto copy. Only problem is it ships from China and I was on a timeframe. Was taking advantage of having the bumper off to shave installation costs.

I know, V3non3non got an incredible deal!
It might be a copy, and without moving parts, but I sure wouldn't trust the welds to stay together either and purchasing/installing another intercooler isn't something I'd want to do twice.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Intercooler was found randomly browsing Facebook groups. Other deals be come across:
H&Rs new for $250, cvf charge pipe new $150, afe intake used $240. Patience is key!

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
Intercooler was found randomly browsing Facebook groups. Other deals be come across:
H&Rs new for $250, cvf charge pipe new $150, afe intake used $240. Patience is key!
Yes, I'm pretty much a long term shopper too. Unfortunately, I didn't have the option with the IC as I was on a specific timeframe. The rest will be well sought out.

Reactions
It came today. I'll take some more pics later.

Here's the label on the package:
20240412_130728.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

It’s not about moving parts…it’s about the quality of the materials used, quality of the welds…not just if they’re pretty or not and most importantly the core itself. Not all cores are created equally.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
It’s not about moving parts…it’s about the quality of the materials used, quality of the welds…not just if they’re pretty or not and most importantly the core itself. Not all cores are created equally.
Unclean welds with little bits that could vibrate free internally in the IC then get launched into the TB/intake manifold/pistons? That is a hard pass. I know the likelihood could be low, but a reputable manufacturer ensures this doesn't happen. A cheap Chinese place? Who knows.

Also, as Unbroken said, with bad QC you can have problems with metal content (what is the metal actually?), the construction (used thinner bars/plates?), etc.

I hope it works out for you, I just don't go that route. I've been in a performance group where people bought the knockoff Chinese ICs/Exhaust manifolds/etc and a lot of guys cried about buying parts twice, and doing excruciating jobs twice...

Reactions
@UNBROKEN @CoHPhasor you both make completely valid points. I agree.

That said, it is a calculated risk (that I perceive to be very low) that I am willing to take.

Time and logs will tell how efficient this is at cooling, and how long it lasts.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like typical knock off quality…just good enough to sell and may or may not work well. I can tell you the fin density (FPI) looks to be about half of my Whipple. The fewer fins….the worse cooling.

Reactions
If you have a hi-res closeup of the fins on the Whipple, that would be helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Out of curiousity, I wanted to compare the fin density between all the different intercoolers:

Whipple:
1712953721792.png

Steeda:
1712953738419.png

CVF:
1712953752972.png

Mishimoto:
1712953783264.png

It looks like CVF has the most fins per row. and Mishimoto has the least.

I won't be tuned for a while, but I will try to find a way to log charge air temps with the new ebay IC. I think it can be done through the OBDII port.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #34
If you have a hi-res closeup of the fins on the Whipple, that would be helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Out of curiousity, I wanted to compare the fin density between all the different intercoolers:

Whipple:
View attachment 22645

Steeda:
View attachment 22646

CVF:
View attachment 22647

Mishimoto:
View attachment 22648

It looks like CVF has the most fins per row. and Mishimoto has the least.

I won't be tuned for a while, but I will try to find a way to log charge air temps with the new ebay IC. I think it can be done through the OBDII port.

Also take in consideration how many rows. Whipple has the most @ 32. - Steeda 25 - CVF, 25 - Mishimoto, 24.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I bought the steeda one, I found it on sale at lethal for 859

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #36
Had bought the CVF for 836 from CVF.

Reactions
There's currently a sale on CVF. 10% off and no tax. It brings it to slightly under 800.

I got the eBay one for $496.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It looks like your typical Chyna knockoff crap.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Installed it yet?

Reactions
Not yet. I am looking for a replacement Ford emblem since mine is cracked. I wanted to knock that out while I have the bumper off.

I think maybe next week or so I will put it on.