Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

E30 question

Reactions
I've done some searching but came out dry. So, apologies if it's already been asked.

The Racetrac I get gas from has e30. I was wondering if it was safe to run on a factory tune & receive better performance than running 93 octane. The e30 is cheaper per gallon than 93, so curious to see the benefits or of it was even worth it.

Best regards,
-John

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

F=MA

Reactions
I would recommend contacting Adam at ZFG Racing to get a tune for that fuel. Your jaw will drop at what a difference the tune makes. I have the E50 ZFG tune and run E85 and E30 (93 octane) in a 50/50 mix.

https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/

LokiWolf

Reactions
I've done some searching but came out dry. So, apologies if it's already been asked.

The Racetrac I get gas from has e30. I was wondering if it was safe to run on a factory tune & receive better performance than running 93 octane. The e30 is cheaper per gallon than 93, so curious to see the benefits or of it was even worth it.

Best regards,
-John

Are you sure it is E30? That is a weird mix to have at a station?

To answer your question. E30 is too high of a content to run on Stock tune. E20 would be about the Max I would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
I would recommend contacting Adam at ZFG Racing to get a tune for that fuel. Your jaw will drop at what a difference the tune makes. I have the E50 ZFG tune and run E85 and E30 (93 octane) in a 50/50 mix.

https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/
Your 93 is E30?

Agree 100% on contacting ZFG!!!

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Your 93 is E30?

Agree 100% on contacting ZFG!!!

No, it has 87 oct, 88 (E30 unless I'm mistaken and its E20. Signage says its for FlexFuel equipped vehicles with orange handle), 91 & 93 octs.

LokiWolf

Reactions
No, it has 87 oct, 88 (E30 unless I'm mistaken and its E20. Signage says its for FlexFuel equipped vehicles with orange handle), 91 & 93 octs.

My E30/93 question was for @F=MA

Most 88 Fuel is E15. No performance benefit over 93(E10 assumed). 88(E15) will have a performance Benefit over 87(E10). All assuming Stock. Your motor on Stock Tuning will have no issue with E15. That is actually the limit in the manual.

F=MA

Reactions
Yes its E30 - 93 octane per the pump markings. These are the pumps at the newer "Jumpstart" gas stations around Wichita, KS. This photo is about a year old and the E85 is now closer to $1.50 per gallon while the E30 dropped to $1.75 and then shot up to about $2.10 lately.

IMG_4063.JPG

LokiWolf

Reactions
Yes its E30 - 93 octane per the pump markings. These are the pumps at the newer "Jumpstart" gas stations around Wichita, KS. This photo is about a year old and the E85 is now closer to $1.50 per gallon while the E30 dropped to $1.75 and then shot up to about $2.10 lately.

View attachment 3710
Dude! That is CRAZY! I would LOVE that!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Dude! That is CRAZY! I would LOVE that!

So I have the 93 Tune from ZFG. Based on the previous picture, E30 and 93 are the same fuel correct? Would I need my tune upgraded to specifically 93/E30 if I were to use that fuel? Is this better/faster than normal 93 with lower ethanol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
So I have the 93 Tune from ZFG. Based on the previous picture, E30 and 93 are the same fuel correct? Would I need my tune upgraded to specifically 93/E30 if I were to use that fuel? Is this better/faster than normal 93 with lower ethanol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking through it...This 93 would have less Energy content than regular 93(E10) and in theory you would need a tune specifically for it.

A Regular E30, a mix of E85 and 93(E10) would have an Octane rating that is higher than 93(E10) by itself, and also higher than the 93(E30) above. So while both would have the same E Content, the actual Octane Rating would be higher for E30(Mixed from E85 and regular 93/E10) than the 93(E30) above. I would have to do more Math to determine the theoretical difference in real world Octane...

Reactions
Are they basically spiking 87(E10) with E85 to get the higher octane fuels? Probably to make it cheaper per specific octane rating but be less fuel efficient than 93(e10)

LokiWolf

Reactions
Are they basically spiking 87(E10) with E85 to get the higher octane fuels? Probably to make it cheaper per specific octane rating but be less fuel efficient than 93(e10)
Yep!