Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drone issues with the following setup …

Reactions
Originally had just the Gibson Catback and had zero drone. Currently have the SPD Downpipes, Lethal MidPipes and Gibson Catback When I first installed this setup everything sounded great. I am now experiencing drone from 1500 to 2000 rpm’s and it is progressively getting worst.

I brought it to an exhaust shop thinking it was rattling but it wasn’t. Now the drone is just obnoxious. What would cause the drone to get louder over time? Please share any experience with this issue and any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Heat expansion and contraction within the baffles of the cat back causing them to change resonance. Also could be from a connection that is causing the exhaust to press against a body panel when expansion is happening due to heat creating a resonance that is proceived as drone.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you’re positive it’s not the system getting hot and growing to the point it’s touching something and causing a resonance issue that could be fixed by adjusting the system for more clearance…you could have had a muffler spit out the packing or come apart internally causing the drone. If everything is good on both those fronts maybe the mufflers just burned in and now it drones…in which case a pair of Helmholtz (j-pipe) resonators will cure it 100%.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If you’re positive it’s not the system getting hot and growing to the point it’s touching something and causing a resonance issue that could be fixed by adjusting the system for more clearance…you could have had a muffler spit out the packing or come apart internally causing the drone. If everything is good on both those fronts maybe the mufflers just burned in and now it drones…in which case a pair of Helmholtz (j-pipe) resonators will cure it 100%.
I'd have said the same but couldn't have said it better. A muffler "burning out" is about the only thing I can think of that would make things progressively worse.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I thought the same on the system getting hot but now it starts droning as soon as I start up and take off. I will have to check the mufflers and also check the alignment one more time. Any recommendations on where to get the J-Pipes?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless the packing is slowly but progressively blowing out, it just doesn't seem feasible that "it is progressively getting worst." Once you start to notice something like a drone, you can't unhear it- and it might seem that it's getting worse. I'd see f you have some internal break.

Get underneath at idle and listen. An easy "stethoscope" can be made with a bit of tubing and a bolt. Find a length of 3/8" hose that you can fit one end in your ear. In the other end, thread in a bolt or a punch or something metal that fits tightly. Put the metal piece on the muffler or connection and see if you hear a tell-tale buzzing.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd check for an exhaust leak. My Gibson seemed to progressively get more drone but I found the stock flex section had failed. Since you don't have that problem, make sure all the exhaust connections are tight and haven't worked their way loose.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Well it looks like I do have some leaking Any suggestions? Weld?

IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0579.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Those clamps need to be super tight. I used a breaker bar because the car was not jacked up...otherwise I'd use an impact wrench.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Tighten the clamps again but condensation/soot seeping out is fairly normal.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Those clamps need to be super tight. I used a breaker bar because the car was not jacked up...otherwise I'd use an impact wrench.
Any recommendation on torque? Don’t want to smash the pipe lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
the OE exhaust that you are mating your midpipe to have slots in them (or at least my early MY2020 does). make sure the midpipes are inserted far enough past those slots.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Any recommendation on torque? Don’t want to smash the pipe lol

That style of clamp won’t smash the pipe. The bolt will break well before that.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I’m about to toss the Gibson Exhaust. I hear something rattling inside of one of the mufflers and the drone is louder so I’m pretty sure it’s coming from there!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #16