Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driving in Slippery Mode

Jarvis

Reactions
Drove from NJ to NY last nite in moderate downpour. Decided to try Slippery Mode at speed 60-70mph. I have only previously tried this mode in snow once but obviously at a much lower pace. Unless I am mistaken, this mode apportions the power to all 4 wheels per the pictogram more consistently rather than the rear bias in Normal, Eco and of course Sport. Grip was surefooted even over areas where I thought I would hydroplane. Could be the tires (7k so far) but reminded me of how my previous Subaru drove with its symmetrical system. Someone correct me if this was an illusion in that this mode is only for snow and disengages at higher speeds.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Having used it a couple of times, it certainly seems that "Slippery Mode" also slows down throttle tip-in and shifts. I'm not sure about the F/R AWD bias. Does anyone know if the transfer case is viscous, or wet-clutch?

Reactions
Been using slippery mode on my drive home from work yesterday and this morning to work. We had light snow on both drives with single digit temps. My ST has only 250 mile got it on the 12th so tires are not broken quite yet. Slippery mode does indeed distribute power equally and throttle response is a little muted but still very responsive it did a great job with traction on the crappy slushy/snowy roads. I stopped and got fuel and forgot that it defaults to "normal" mode needless to say it was holy shit! When I pulled into traffic and the her ass kicked out. Was having flashback to driving my old CVPI I quickly turned back to slippery and no further drama.
I drive a Taurus PI for my side job and she gets me through every storm the has come through in the past 4 years but she has Firestone pursuit winter tires.
Next winter I am going to get a set of winter rims and tires and then the ST will get through everything.

Reactions
Been using slippery mode on my drive home from work yesterday and this morning to work. We had light snow on both drives with single digit temps. My ST has only 250 mile got it on the 12th so tires are not broken quite yet. Slippery mode does indeed distribute power equally and throttle response is a little muted but still very responsive it did a great job with traction on the crappy slushy/snowy roads. I stopped and got fuel and forgot that it defaults to "normal" mode needless to say it was holy shit! When I pulled into traffic and the her ass kicked out. Was having flashback to driving my old CVPI I quickly turned back to slippery and no further drama.
I drive a Taurus PI for my side job and she gets me through every storm the has come through in the past 4 years but she has Firestone pursuit winter tires.
Next winter I am going to get a set of winter rims and tires and then the ST will get through everything.
Tires make all the difference. My Hellcat was a beast in snow (as long as it could clear it) with my winter tires on. I was honestly shocked at the difference I had never had dedicated winter tires before. With snows the ST would be unstoppable other than super deep snow.

I haven't had any issues in my ST in the snow, but usually take my Gladiator in the snow anyway, but it's been decent especially in slippery mode.

Reactions
Just drove about 150 miles in slippery mode and when I switched back to normal while still underway I noticed instantly the throttle response and the torque returned back to "hey lets go!" and jumped 10 mph faster as soon as I switched. It definitely helps when the roads are total crap even with the stock tires.