Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drivetrain Fluids Change

B1gFek

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Explorer ST
Almost 50% of the mileage on our 2020 Explorer is towing miles. I'm interested in changing any drivetrain fluids I can do myself. I have a pneumatic fluid extractor that I plan to use to pull fluids from anything that doesn't have a drain plug. Can anyone tell me what fluids to use, or point me to which areas to look for fill or drain plugs? I am hoping to purchase the fluids before putting the vehicle in the air. I am planning on removing transmission fluid through dipstick hole, and replacing whatever amount comes out, with new fluid.

Reactions
I believe both axles have drain plugs and fill plugs, and so does the transfer case, although I recall I could not find the fill point on the transfer case during my brief inspection underneath. I might just have been being stupid and missed The rear diff drain plug is quite accessible on the rear cover of the diff but the fill is tucked up behind the rear subframe and is tighter access. Been a couple years since I was underneath so can’t remember the layout for the front other than that I think you have to remove some plastic shielding.

To the best of my knowledge there is no drain for the transmission, the easiest way would be to spill the pan. The fill/check port is, if memory serves, on the transmission housing, above the transmission pan flange, I think on the driver’s side, and the plug has a built-in dipstick that is used for checking the fluid although I remember reading that it’s the same dipstick across many models that use the same trans and various models require different quantities/levels of trans fluid, so there was a chart for which model was supposed to have its fluid level at which marking on the dipstick etc.. There is no under-hood dipstick or tube.

I could be wrong on any or all of this.
Can’t speak for the exact fluids - either order them from the dealer, or someone on here will chime in. I do believe using the Ford brand ATF is recommended - just can’t remember what it’s called.

Reactions
This review vid from a few years ago has a brief view of the undercarriage and you can see the service plugs for the rear diff and the drain for the t-case, and you can see the plastic tranny pan. Undercarriage starts around 11:30.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Automatic Transmission: Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid 12.6 Qt. (fill to 3-4.5 level)
Transfer Case: Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission -AMERCON® LV 1.1Qt
Front differential: Motorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant 0.6qt
Rear differential: Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant 1.9qt

Reactions
I think I might replace my drivetrain fluids with Amsoil. I just picked up a used 2020 with 20k miles.

How do you replace the full 12.6 qts for the transmission? I see most people do only 5-6.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Trans is usually a vacuum change to get it all out. Just dropping pan wouldn't' get it all out cause fluid is in the solenoids, etc.

Reactions
Trans is usually a vacuum change to get it all out. Just dropping pan wouldn't' get it all out cause fluid is in the solenoids, etc.
Is dropping the pan the only way to change the fluid? Is it held on with bolts?

I have a pump that can pull fluid. I wonder if I can get a good amount out from the plug where you check the level.

Reactions
Is dropping the pan the only way to change the fluid? Is it held on with bolts?

I have a pump that can pull fluid. I wonder if I can get a good amount out from the plug where you check the level.
‍This sounds like it might not end up well. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions
‍This sounds like it might not end up well. I hope I’m wrong.
I guess it may be hard to get fluid out of the fill. It looks like the common way to change the fluid is to remove the pan.

Anwarlucas

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Reactions

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just a heads up on the rear differential drain and fill. There is very limited clearance to access to the fill plug (3/8" square hole). Conventional 3/8" socket rachets will not fit! My 3/8" breaker bar would not fit. I was lucky I had a mini pivoting rachet and barely got it to work. Going to order the following to see if it would work better for next time:

Powerbuilt 2 Piece Socket Levers, 1/4-Inch and 3/8-Inch Drive, Extra Low Profile

https://a.co/d/9b78UOY

Reactions
My old craftsman fit in the plug on the rear diff, I had to angle into the plug.

Reactions
I took a piece of 3/8" keystock and cut a small piece off and used a 3/8" open end.
That's pretty creative!

I've been doing some reading on other forums, some 10r80 owners put in a little bit of lubegard. Anybody here have any experience with that?