Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver's Seat Shifting

Reactions
Is anyone having an issue with the driver's seat shifting when making a turn where your body weight shifts in the seat? The movement is very slight. I can't tell if it is the seat cushion or seat mechanism. Had it at Ford and they could not find anything wrong. There is no sound associated with the shifting. I just feel the give. Thanks!

hbalek

Reactions
Is anyone having an issue with the driver's seat shifting when making a turn where your body weight shifts in the seat? The movement is very slight. I can't tell if it is the seat cushion or seat mechanism. Had it at Ford and they could not find anything wrong. There is no sound associated with the shifting. I just feel the give. Thanks!
I have had the same issue early on at 2000 miles or so. Hasn't gotten worse luckily at 4200 miles now!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The seats aren't really supportive and don't have any significant side bolters to be considered "sport" seats but certainly there should be no physical shifting of the seat! Maybe check the edges of the seat to make sure the material is fastened properly. These are really cheap seats and it's surprising how the leather interfaces with the plastic on the edges. Just a bunch of clips.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I have had the same issue early on at 2000 miles or so. Hasn't gotten worse luckily at 4200 miles now!
Yea... I'm in the same mileage range.

hbalek

Reactions
Yea... I'm in the same mileage range.
I read somewhere that it may be wiring bundle under seat bouncing around rather than the seat actually moving. The motion seems to happen both from lateral and forward/backward weight movement.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Feels like the seat or frame is physically moving, but I will keep the wiring bundle issue in mind. Thanks!

hbalek

Reactions
Thanks for the input. Feels like the seat or frame is physically moving, but I will keep the wiring bundle issue in mind. Thanks!
Mine is more a slight pivot than a rocking, which is the worst! I had a rocking or leaning on some previous vehicles and that's really annoying.

Reactions
I've had the same issue. I have over 10,000 miles on mine. It is a slight pivot/shift where the seat mounts are. I figured its too minor that a tech wouldn't be able to pick it up and do anything about it. I ended up going to the ST experience in Asheville, NC and didn't have that pivot or shifting in the STs the let us drive.

Reactions
There's a tsb out for this issue now

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
I'm having a similar issue but not every time. It hasn't been bothersome but has felt like it was shifting on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
I'm having a similar issue but not every time. It hasn't been bothersome but has felt like it was shifting on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here.

Reactions
Mine does it too, just started recently unless I didn't notice it before. I'm at 3k miles, noticed it a couple weeks ago.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine makes a little bit of noise too

F=MA

Reactions
Since the fix I swear I smell antifreeze under the seat. They should specify new heater hose. hahaha

Reactions
guess i can fix this myself. not gonna use rubber hose and clamps. ill buy some split collar rings and make it nicer.