Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver seat clicking noise and loose leather

Reactions
Hello,

I've had my 2021 ST since July 2021 and have been dealing with a click in the seat when I use the massaging seats. Its definitely happening on the lower seat cushion and you can feel it click under your butt. Feels and sounds like a broken piece of plastic. The same sensation can be felt then exiting the car occasionally and on some turns. The leather seat cover on the drivers seat is not very tight to the cushion either. You can actually grab and pinch the leather. I'm thinking I have two issues going on here. A broken massager and a loose seat cover. The day I picked it up the ST a small piece of leather way sticking out of the plastic side panel that I tucked back under. That leads me to believe that maybe it wasn't installed properly.

Reactions
The leather pulling up from under the plastic side panel is the beginning of the failure of the plastic panel.
it is a common and known issue. It will be replaced by warranty.

Reactions
My driver side seat started clicking recently as well. Right at the center/rear portion of the seat it clicks when you move or if you go over a bump.
*sigh*

Reactions
I still have this issue and had the TSB done for the noisy/moving seat issue. The movement might be a little better, but the clicking is just beyond bad. I have a bad feeling it's the massaging parts inside and the dealer will end up saying "it's normal".

MrsBST8911

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have the same issue with the leather looking like its coming up. Mine actually looks like it has a tear in it, my service advisor noted it and said she would attempt to get it replaced by warranty. I also have the untucked looking piece down by where the plastic and leather meet. I noticed a few clicking noises now and then but i just figured it was normal because my husband's SHO made similar noises when you ran the massagers in there.

Reactions
Hello,

I've had my 2021 ST since July 2021 and have been dealing with a click in the seat when I use the massaging seats. Its definitely happening on the lower seat cushion and you can feel it click under your butt. Feels and sounds like a broken piece of plastic. The same sensation can be felt then exiting the car occasionally and on some turns. The leather seat cover on the drivers seat is not very tight to the cushion either. You can actually grab and pinch the leather. I'm thinking I have two issues going on here. A broken massager and a loose seat cover. The day I picked it up the ST a small piece of leather way sticking out of the plastic side panel that I tucked back under. That leads me to believe that maybe it wasn't installed properly.
Our 2020ST does the same thing and has been at the dealer twice with no fix. Also have screen issues, rear cam replaced, rear glass replaced due to defrost stripes peeling off. Now the exhaust rattles on start up and blue/grey smoke fills garage.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Our 2020ST does the same thing and has been at the dealer twice with no fix. Also have screen issues, rear cam replaced, rear glass replaced due to defrost stripes peeling off. Now the exhaust rattles on start up and blue/grey smoke fills garage.
My dealer replaced the leather seat cover and one of the massaging air bladders. It doesn’t click anymore and feel a lot more solid.

F=MA

Reactions
I have had the clicking driver's seat for a year especially when driving especially when turning through intersections. No broken seat parts or moving seat covers yet.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I have had the clicking driver's seat for a year especially when driving especially when turning through intersections. No broken seat parts or moving seat covers yet.
My dealer replaced the left air bladder for the massager that was the source of the clicking noise/sensation. He told me that he couldn't see anything wrong with it but replaced it anyway.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
This sucks. Guess there’s a price to pay for complex tech inside a seat like that. Pretty sure my 22 is coming without the massaging seats. I would have had to order them in the 401a package?

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Update: seat is clicking again just like before. Dealer informed me that Ford just released a TSB for this issue and will perform it on my next visit. Also I saw in a thread on facebook that there is a bracket that loosens causing the massager to click.

Reactions
Update: seat is clicking again just like before. Dealer informed me that Ford just released a TSB for this issue and will perform it on my next visit. Also I saw in a thread on facebook that there is a bracket that loosens causing the massager to click.
Do you have any information on the TSB? I had one done for the seat like 2 months ago and all they do is put some heater hose on with some clamps. It only helped with the seat moving side to side. Didn't help at all for the clicking and other noises the seat makes.

Reactions
any update on this or some elaboration on which bracket that loosens up and if it’s accessible with the seat assembled? I’ve scoured the ST Facebook group and didn’t find anything there either. The only TSB I’ve seen Ford release for seat noises is the clunk noise on turns. My drivers seat does it just moving your butt around in the seat and it drives me nuts.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
any update on this or some elaboration on which bracket that loosens up and if it’s accessible with the seat assembled? I’ve scoured the ST Facebook group and didn’t find anything there either. The only TSB I’ve seen Ford release for seat noises is the clunk noise on turns. My drivers seat does it just moving your butt around in the seat and it drives me nuts.
So I, myself discovered that the clicking/thunk sensation I felt from the seat was due to a piece of the underside of the seat rubbing against another plastic piece and "snapping" when the air bladder expanded pushing downward. I discovered this when I recorded video from underneath. My seat cushion position was also tilted horizontally all the way upward behind the knees. When I lowered the seat cushion the clunk went away and has been fine since!

Reactions
Good stuff! I, too, have the seat bottom tilted upwards as much as it’ll go, I will back it off and see if it goes away. I appreciate the follow up!

Reactions
Good stuff! I, too, have the seat bottom tilted upwards as much as it’ll go, I will back it off and see if it goes away. I appreciate the follow up!
Damn, my noise goes away when I tilt it up all the way. Lol. I imagine the dealership will say it's normal wear and tear. Maybe it will go away on its own like the moonroof rattle did.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Bleh, unfortunately there is no seat position that eliminates the noise on mine. You hear it carrying on like crazy while adjusting the seat cushion height, when I get a chance I’ll try to put my phone under there and record it to try to pinpoint it. Probably something to do with the air bladders I fear though

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
i assumed the loose fitting leather was to accmodate the air bladders inside for the massage

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Did you get the TSB done for the seat and can you share that information for the TSB?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I actually found the 2 TSB's.

1661288812237.png
1661288843052.png