Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drive problems using spare tire

Nic843

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Had a flat. Took it to my local tire shop to get a new tire put on. Didn’t have one in stock, no biggie. My vehicle has 4000k on it. Put the spare tire on and left the shop. In the first 2 mins of driving the vehicle had a heavy vibration, odd noise coming from rear. Then a big thud and a notification comes on the screen saying 4wd is turned off. Continues to whine and make weird noises. Has anyone had this issue? Or know what is going on? Thanks in advance

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Had that issue also. it's the AWD. Sadly will happen every time and the system will not learn.

Reactions
Had a flat. Took it to my local tire shop to get a new tire put on
Just curious OP, do you run wheel spacers? I ask because the steel spare provides less clearance for the original studs vs the 21” aluminum wheels, so the point that they can hit the backside of the the steel wheel. I suspect it’s the AWD system freaking out as was suggested, but thought throw that out there.

OP
Nic843

Nic843

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Just curious OP, do you run wheel spacers? I ask because the steel spare provides less clearance for the original studs vs the 21” aluminum wheels, so the point that they can hit the backside of the the steel wheel. I suspect it’s the AWD system freaking out as was suggested, but thought throw that out there.
No sir. Everything is stock as of now.

OP
Nic843

Nic843

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Had that issue also. it's the AWD. Sadly will happen every time and the system will not learn.
Thank you for posting. I was having a little freak out.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Had a flat. Took it to my local tire shop to get a new tire put on. Didn’t have one in stock, no biggie. My vehicle has 4000k on it. Put the spare tire on and left the shop. In the first 2 mins of driving the vehicle had a heavy vibration, odd noise coming from rear. Then a big thud and a notification comes on the screen saying 4wd is turned off. Continues to whine and make weird noises. Has anyone had this issue? Or know what is going on? Thanks in advance
4000K = 4,000,000

Reactions
It’s in the owner’s manual…

653F1BE0-3D3C-4B8B-AD51-FA500D8B481B.jpeg

OP
Nic843

Nic843

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
4000K = 4,000,000[/QUOTe
Dave I appreciate the math lesson. I was aware after I posted. Thanks for pointing out my mistake

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Makes me wonder, do one need a bigger spare tire?
Or, does a full size fit in there?
Especially if you are going somewhere, where you can't replace the original size, faster.

Screenshot_2023-04-18-16-51-39-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
The difference is big.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
You cant fit a full size tire on there. The donut is fine for low speeds.

Reactions
Do you mean you cannot fit a fullsize tire in the spare tire compartment? As I am sure I can fit a fullsize tire on any of the wheel positions on my ST. :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You are right.
There is space in there to fit a bigger tire (after removing the inner load floor), but issue will be a cross member regular explorers have, for the third row seats.

Interceptor spare. (not sure of the size.)
IMG_20230419_045327.jpg
My spare location (sorry, the cross member not visible in my photo)
IMG_20230419_045412.jpg
I dumped the tool kits and inflator in there, before putting back the two load floors.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Do you mean you cannot fit a fullsize tire in the spare tire compartment? As I am sure I can fit a fullsize tire on any of the wheel positions on my ST. :)
Yes the compartment.
You are right.
There is space in there to fit a bigger tire (after removing the inner load floor), but issue will be a cross member regular explorers have, for the third row seats.

Interceptor spare. (not sure of the size.)
View attachment 17509
My spare location (sorry, the cross member not visible in my photo)
View attachment 17510
I dumped the tool kits and inflator in there, before putting back the two load floors.
Yes Interceptors have full size spares but they also dont have a 3rd row.