Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drive Mode differences

Reactions
I did a search but couldn't really find anything.

I just want to get a better understanding of what the changes are in the different drive modes.

For example, I can tell that Sport mode stays in gear and seems to do some engine braking when the throttle pedal is not depressed.

What is different about Eco, Slippery, Tow, etc. vs the normal mode?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I did a search but couldn't really find anything.

I just want to get a better understanding of what the changes are in the different drive modes.

For example, I can tell that Sport mode stays in gear and seems to do some engine braking when the throttle pedal is not depressed.

What is different about Eco, Slippery, Tow, etc. vs the normal mode?
For Spirited Driving, You’ll Want The Sport Mode
For on-road travel in your Ford Explorer that’s spirited and sporty, Sport Mode is the one you want. It’s a great way to have a sports car feel in a quality SUV with plenty of room for your passengers and cargo. This mode offers a sportier feel for the steering and quicker shifting. An increased throttle response and stiffened suspension also come with the Sport Mode. The transmission holds the gear longer between shifts, giving you better acceleration and a strong reply from the gas pedal. You can also expect an emphasis on control and handling when you use this mode on your Ford Explorer.

Eco Mode For Responsible, Efficient Driving
When you’re looking for better gas mileage, you’ll want to switch your 2020 Ford Explorer over to Eco Mode. You’ll get a longer driving range compared to other modes. This mode gives you the maximum level of fuel efficiency, so you can get your money’s worth out of every tank. When you want to try out the different Selectable Drive Modes, come see us at Cook Ford. Take a test-drive today, and find the Ford Explorer that’s right for your needs.

Tow And Haul With An Improved Transmission
The Ford Explorer has an improved transmission for 2020. If you need to tow or haul a heavy load, the Tow/Haul Mode gives you the power to get the job done. This mode will shift up to a higher engine speed so the transmission doesn’t shift as frequently. You’ll also get engine braking in all your forward gears, helping you stop more effectively and making it easier to descend steep grades. The more you press on the brake pedal, the stronger downshift braking you’ll get from the Ford Explorer as well.

Ice, Snow, And Sand Are No Match For The Explorer
Whether you’re driving in snow or sand or you’re dealing with wet and icy roads, the 2020 Ford Explorer will help keep you safe. The Deep Snow/Sand Mode and Slippery Mode adjust the transmission and gas pedal reactions, so you’re less likely to slide or get stuck. You’ll get better handling and responsiveness, too. Visit our Ford dealer, and schedule your test-drive of the great new Ford Explorer today.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Does it really stiffen up the suspension in sport mode? How does it do that?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Does it really stiffen up the suspension in sport mode? How does it do that?
It doesn't on the ST. That's generic explorer literature.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It doesn't on the ST. That's generic explorer literature.
Okay yeah that’s what I thought. Figured you need an adaptive suspension in order to do that.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Yeah it mostly comes down to torque management and shifting, etc in the diff modes. Help to moderate our human input lol. When I last visited Chicago the snow setting was surprisingly helpful despite many years of driving experience in it. Prefer having more throttle control myself but made my wife feel good when she couldn't spin the tires instantly while cruising around.

Explorer ST Posts