Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drive Line Fault, 4WD disabled

Reactions
Got this one today.

Anyone come across it? I called the dealership and they said it would take over a week for them to diagnose and potentially repair it. I have a 2020 with less than 50K miles. This is the third light I've thrown since I've had it. I'm beginning to think quality may not be job one at Ford.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
First guess- front wheel speed sensor. Have you been in the mud recently? That's a possibility. Clear the code and see if it recurs. There's also SSM 49045 for this problem on certain 2020s depending on build date.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
No mud for me although we've had quite a bit of rain recently. How do I clear a code (sorry that's probably an ignorant question but it's genuine)?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Your local autozone (or other parts store) can pull the DTC (codes) that caused the problem. Write them down and then have them clear the codes. Or, just wait until you can get into Ford. After all, you're not likely to fix the problem on your own, right?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would urge you to get Forscan and run codes yourself.

My speed sensor went out a couple of months ago. Forscan had code specifically identifying the front half shaft speed sensor.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Yeah maybe I'll just get Forscan. Do you just buy that on Amazon or is it a specialty item?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You need an OBD2 adapter, a Forscan-recommended one. They can be bluetooth or wired. The software is PC, that usually means a laptop. If you want just diagnostics and run service procedures, they have iOS and android. 99% of the time, I'm using my OBDLINK MX+ bluetooth with my Forscan Lite app (iOS). There's a free trial for the PC version that you can get the trial code any number of times. PC will allow you to do configuration changes like eliminate the fake engine sounds, the double honk on exiting your car with keys, hyper flash with rear LED bulbs, etc.