Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipe Question about Exhaust Fumes

Reactions
So I had the SPD Downpipes installed locally. Ever since the install, when I get on the gas pretty hard, I smell exhaust fumes. Anyone experience anything similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Maybe a gasket issue?

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Maybe a gasket issue?
I brought it to an exhaust shop but don’t think they looked at the downpipe flanges

If it is the gaskets, do the downpipes have to be pulled complex to change them? Or can they be loosened and replaced?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I brought it to an exhaust shop but don’t think they looked at the downpipe flanges

If it is the gaskets, do the downpipes have to be pulled complex to change them? Or can they be loosened and replaced?

Unfortunately it requires redoing the install. If you have a newer vehicle, maybe the gaskets can be reused but I think it's always best to buy new gaskets. The other thing to consider is what is the rest of the catback? Do you have the POS OE midpipes? Those flex sections could fail like it did to me

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I’m have the lethal Midpipes so hopefully I’m good there

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You can unbolt the flanges and slide new gaskets in. You don’t have to redo the whole thing.