Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipe install cost

Reactions
Since I don’t have a lift and no one can give a straight answer on how to approach this; I’m planning on taking my Explorer in to get the fenfab downpipes installed on the ST. I’m curious what others paid and how long the job took to get done?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
4 to 5 hours of what ever the labor cost is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
4 to 5 hours of what ever the labor cost is.

Any tips I can give to the shop? Maybe make there lives easier and save me a few dollars?

Reactions
I had the SPD dp's put in by Ford and it took them 4hrs @ 150 per hour!

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I had the SPD dp's put in by Ford and it took them 4hrs @ 150 per hour!
Oh my god, luckily this shops rate is half that so hopefully they can get it done in a similar amount of time

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Any tips I can give to the shop? Maybe make there lives easier and save me a few dollars?
I believe the passenger side is straight forward but A lot of ppl mentioned having to drop the transmission some to get the drivers side in …. Or vise versa

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I peeked under the explorer the other day in prep for my downpipes being ordered. I will tackle them myself but I looked at the driver side because I thought I remembered reading the passenger was the tougher one and the driver side looks rough. It's a tight work area but I will get it. That makes me feel better though about the passenger being straight forward.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I peeked under the explorer the other day in prep for my downpipes being ordered. I will tackle them myself but I looked at the driver side because I thought I remembered reading the passenger was the tougher one and the driver side looks rough. It's a tight work area but I will get it. That makes me feel better though about the passenger being straight forward.
I dont remember if it is passenger or drivers . I just know one or the other is a pain.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s the passenger side that sucks. Drop the subframe a couple of inches for clearance and it’s a lot easier. Driver side is super easy.

F=MA

Reactions
Could you not make a few progressive cuts with a torch (avoiding any damage to the O2 connections) in order to remove sections of the passenger side downpipe/insulation until you have easier access to the two nuts for removal of the OEM passenger downpipe?? Haven't looked yet but just wondering. Can I assume access to the nuts on the Fenfab downpipes would be easier than working with the OEM downpipes??

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Could you not make a few progressive cuts with a torch (avoiding any damage to the O2 connections) in order to remove sections of the passenger side downpipe/insulation until you have easier access to the two nuts for removal of the OEM passenger downpipe?? Haven't looked yet but just wondering. Can I assume access to the nuts on the Fenfab downpipes would be easier than working with the OEM downpipes??
It’s the heat shielding that’s in the way and it’s welded to the DP up by the flange.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
It’s the passenger side that sucks. Drop the subframe a couple of inches for clearance and it’s a lot easier. Driver side is super easy.
Damn, well I'm still going to tackle this job. Thanks for the tip with the subframe.

Reactions
Had it done today, Downpipes and Midpipes replaced. Shop took 5.5 hours. They said it was a real bitch.

Norvgen

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Since I don’t have a lift and no one can give a straight answer on how to approach this; I’m planning on taking my Explorer in to get the fenfab downpipes installed on the ST. I’m curious what others paid and how long the job took to get done?
$230.00 at my dealer.

Reactions
I just ordered SPD Downpipes, do I need to order replacement gaskets or anything for the install? Just want to be sure I have everything I need and no surprises when I install.