Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipe Bracket Sound/Vibration Transfer

F=MA

Reactions
Received my Fenfab catted downpipes today. Anyone here have any issues regarding the brackets attached to the downpipes causing unwanted sound/vibrations? Thought it would be good to know in advance as it was mentioned recently in a discussion about the SPD downpipe brackets.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The rattle from the stock flex joints will literally vibrate your teeth. If you have ditched those, you will be all good. I made the mistake of doing DPs and exhaust without doing the mids and flex joints--that mistake didn't last a week.

Reactions
The rattle from the stock flex joints will literally vibrate your teeth. If you have ditched those, you will be all good. I made the mistake of doing DPs and exhaust without doing the mids and flex joints--that mistake didn't last a week.
Do you have photos of the new flex pipes? What did you replace the stock ones with? Better mesh ones or straight pipe?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Do you have photos of the new flex pipes? What did you replace the stock ones with? Better mesh ones or straight pipe?
I replaced Ford's stupid mesh with the traditional woven style. I just ordered the Thermal mid-pipe kit from whoosh as it already is designed to fit to FenFab or SPD downpipes and welded it up to my existing cat back exhaust. Comes with new 2.5" midpipes and the good flex sections.
1632369564058.png

Reactions
I replaced Ford's stupid mesh with the traditional woven style. I just ordered the Thermal mid-pipe kit from whoosh as it already is designed to fit to FenFab or SPD downpipes and welded it up to my existing cat back exhaust. Comes with new 2.5" midpipes and the good flex sections.
View attachment 7832
Do you have the part number for this by chance?
Also, I have the Borla Atak catback exhaust which comes with 2.25" piping..will the 2.5 midpipes work?
I suppose they will because the SPD downpipes will fit the Borla exhaust and thats a 3" pipe.
I reached out to Ron @ Whoosh for his take.
I also have a x-pipe installed which replaced the mid resonator.
I checked up on a company called Vibrant and they sell the flex pipes with either 6" or 8" configuration but idk about additional piping to attach them (still new to all of this).
Please let me know thanks.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Do you have the part number for this by chance?
Also, I have the Borla Atak catback exhaust which comes with 2.25" piping..will the 2.5 midpipes work?
I suppose they will because the SPD downpipes will fit the Borla exhaust and thats a 3" pipe.
I reached out to Ron @ Whoosh for his take.
I also have a x-pipe installed which replaced the mid resonator.
I checked up on a company called Vibrant and they sell the flex pipes with either 6" or 8" configuration but idk about additional piping to attach them (still new to all of this).
Please let me know thanks.
It was this kit: https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ts/thermal-r-d-2020-explorer-st-2-5-mid-pipes

Yes, I initally also bought the Borla ATAK because when I bought my ST that was all that was on the market. Since, I have replaced everything up to the mid-mounted muffler with 2.5". A simple reducer will happily drop the midpipe kit down to your existing Borla setup.

Any exhaust shop can easily piece together whatever setup you would like. Transitioning between pipe diameters is easy.

Reactions
It was this kit: https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ts/thermal-r-d-2020-explorer-st-2-5-mid-pipes

Yes, I initally also bought the Borla ATAK because when I bought my ST that was all that was on the market. Since, I have replaced everything up to the mid-mounted muffler with 2.5". A simple reducer will happily drop the midpipe kit down to your existing Borla setup.

Any exhaust shop can easily piece together whatever setup you would like. Transitioning between pipe diameters is easy.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.