Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Difference between model years

JPrzech

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Hello, I'm new here and not really well-versed in using forums. I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm in the market for an ST. I test drove a '22 this morning and was blown away, figuratively and almost literally. I didn't like the aesthetics bc it didn't have the black rims. That's just a cool look to me. I'm looking at a few different ones right now. One is a '23 that's still in transit to the dealer with a sticker of $61,565, another is also a '23, also in transit, with a sticker of $61,310. However, I also came across a '20 with under 10K miles for about $20K less. As much as I wanted a brand new one, 20 grand is 20 grand,

My question is this: what are the major differences, if any, between the four model years? I've looked around Google and can't really find anything definitive. Would I be better off just buying new or saving a dumpload of cash and buying Ford Certified Pre-Owned? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Each year, they “de-content” the ST. In your position, I’d grab the 2020 before someone else does.

OP
JPrzech

JPrzech

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Each year, they “de-content” the ST. In your position, I’d grab the 2020 before someone else does.
Thanks, Jeppo. What has been "de-contented?" I read something about massage seats and a rear differential bolt (which I don't even understand) but what else?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Front camera washer and maybe back camera washer too. Center console storage light. Some talk about the lights in the cup holders. Second row seat tray.

They keep taking little stuff out of a $60,000 vehicle. Very frustrating. Others will be along to give you a complete list.

hbalek

Reactions
Front camera washer and maybe back camera washer too. Center console storage light. Some talk about the lights in the cup holders. Second row seat tray.

They keep taking little stuff out of a $60,000 vehicle. Very frustrating. Others will be along to give you a complete list.
Also windshield wiper heaters were only on 2020.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
just be aware that if you get a MY2020, it is likely a flawed vehicle. Most of the modules have new firmware to correct issues and your 2020 likely wouldn't have those updated. Other known problems could be lurking, which is fine if you are under warranty and keep an eye on them, but some will likely pop up after warranty. I think you can still buy an extended factory warranty though. Feature wise, the 2020 was the most robust, so there's that.

hbalek

Reactions
2021 added gloss black interior trim and different front seatbacks too.

Reactions
I have a September 2020 ST and I have not (yet, fingers crossed) had any of the many issues brought up on this forum with earlier 2020s. In addition, the later 2020s have safety improvements to the foot area of driver's compartment. And it still has the four bolt rear end. Good luck with the search.

hbalek

Reactions
I have a September 2020 ST and I have not (yet, fingers crossed) had any of the many issues brought up on this forum with earlier 2020s. In addition, the later 2020s have safety improvements to the foot area of driver's compartment. And it still has the four bolt rear end. Good luck with the search.
How many miles? Mine was 11/19 build and had a slew of problems.

Reactions
September 2020 build. 30,000 km so far. I have a recall for the backup camera blue screen, left cat possible crack, and parking break auto on. None of them have been an issue yet.

Reactions
I think they made a number of changes mid-year 2020 and mine was one of the last ones built.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
September 2020 build. 30,000 km so far. I have a recall for the backup camera blue screen, left cat possible crack, and parking break auto on. None of them have been an issue yet.
Well, you probably don't have the new cat downpipe. It is much better. The welds on the old style are crap. I think it's just a matter of time but at least it's a recall item that can get fixed even if your warranty expires. I would almost guarantee that the axle hub actuator leak is going to start affecting many of us, especially those that live in colder environments like you do. The O-ring used was garbage. And don't get me started on the crummy exhaust flex sections--that is surely going to go prematurely and likely after warranty expires. Basically, keep a close eye on your car while in warranty. The known issues can easily be looked at by yourself. A dealer "multipoint inspection" found nothing--makes me wonder if they just charge for that but actually never do anything. I found the downpipe cracked weld, the failed flex section, the oil leak from the axle hub actuator. I even went to the dealer to tell them of the cat converter cracked weld and they said it was fine... until I showed them the pic I took on my phone!!!

Last edited:
Reactions
I am sure issues could arise. I am thinking of an extended warranty, mostly due to all the electronics that could go wrong.

Reactions
Oh, and I do not drive my ST in the winter. It is kept nice and warm in my garage. Too much salt and chlorides sprayed on the highways. Hopefully it will do better than the average vehicle up here.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I bought a used ‘21 Explorer ST because it saved me at least $10k over a new similarly equipped ‘22. I deliberately went for ‘21s instead of ‘20s because of all the issues that had been reported for the new model year. Some people might be lucky, but the 20 and 21 got a 1 out of 5 reliability score largely because of the issues that arised in the ‘20.