Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Did you purchase an extended warranty?

Did you purchase an extended warranty?

• Yes Factory Extended Warranty

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • Yes Aftermarket Extended Warranty

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • No but will purchase before warranty runs out

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Don't plan to

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
An 8/100 warranty will run a little over $1500 if you buy it from one of the vendors on the web, as I had mentioned. If you go with the dealership price at the time of vehicle purchase, plan to spend about double that.

Typical prices in this thread:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/2020-extended-service-plans-pricing-dealer-cost.480414/
Some really good information here. I'll read up more on it, but seriously considering this as I just purchased mine this past Saturday. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions
My dealer threw in a lifetime drivetrain warranty, but given all the tech on this car, I purchased an extended technology package.

Reactions
I did as well. Cars are getting extremely complex with all the added extras mechanically and electronically and there are rarely any simple repairs anymore. From past experience, extended warrnties have saved me thousands o dollars in repairs from transmissions, suspension problems and electrical mysteries needing major repairs..

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My dealer threw in a lifetime drivetrain warranty, but given all the tech on this car, I purchased an extended technology package.
My local dealer, not the one I bought my ST from, will include a lifetime power train warranty, but it is impossible to meet their requirements in order for you to remain eligible for it. You must always have your vehicle serviced by them and all recommended items must be purchased during your service. They also have an annual oil additive you must purchase for $99.00. I call it snake oil.

Reactions
Something is not right with your dealer. My extended warrantees only require regular required maintenance, usually annual check up and oil change. They can be done by any Ford dealer as people relocate all the time. Some will accept maintenance at any licensed repair shop as long as you keep the records o the work done. I always use full synthetic and pay extra for it, but you only really need to use the specified oil that is in your manual. I would contact the Ford Regional Manager about this dealer. Most dealers provide either a dealer warrantee policy or a Ford extended warranty policy.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Something is not right with your dealer. My extended warrantees only require regular required maintenance, usually annual check up and oil change. They can be done by any Ford dealer as people relocate all the time. Some will accept maintenance at any licensed repair shop as long as you keep the records o the work done. I always use full synthetic and pay extra for it, but you only really need to use the specified oil that is in your manual. I would contact the Ford Regional Manager about this dealer. Most dealers provide either a dealer warrantee policy or a Ford extended warranty policy.
Again, not my dealer for the ST. I purchased mine from a different dealer, but have bought vehicles from them before. It is known as false advertising. They call it a 'free' lifetime power train warranty, but it is far from free, as unsuspecting buyers soon find out. Since it is a so called free warranty, no harm/no foul on dealer part.

Blackssr

Reactions
I did get the extended warranty, plan on keeping this thing for a long time.
I say that all the time but I trade within three to four years for the latest and greatest... But I may actually buy the extended warranty for the ST. I had it on my wife's ZO6 and it was at the dealer every Monday morning.

Reactions
I bought one. But I bought it almost exclusively for the non-powertrain stuff. I am going to tune and mod the truck eventually (likely trying to stay with a warrantied tune such as 5 Star or Ford [when they release it]), so the powertrain side doesn't really worry me as much. But I am just so used to electronic gremlins and I have used a few extended warranties in the past for non-powertrain work.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought the Ford Protect Premium Care warranty. 6 years, 75,000 miles. $2300.00. If you don't use the plan within the specified time, you have 60 days to file paperwork to get your MONEY BACK! IMG_1212.JPG

Blackssr

Reactions
I bought the Ford Protect Premium Care warranty. 6 years, 75,000 miles. $2300.00. If you don't use the plan within the specified time, you have 60 days to file paperwork to get your MONEY BACK! View attachment 3279
That seems a bit high in price. Did you get a price quote from Flood Ford? They quoted me on 2021 ST. ESP Price.png

Reactions
Anyone have a preference on warranty companies? I was quoted 4K through Ford protect for 8 years 150k miles. Seems a bit lofty but it’s the only plan they have that covers the electronics components.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That seems a bit high in price. Did you get a price quote from Flood Ford? They quoted me on 2021 ST. View attachment 3280
Wow, quite a difference! That was the price I was quoted through the dealer. Never thought about it being cheaper.

Blackssr

Reactions
Wow, quite a difference! That was the price I was quoted through the dealer. Never thought about it being cheaper.
I just purchased it this morning and apparently they had a price increase today and it went up $65 I think. I normally don't keep my cars more than three or four years but this one's got a lot of gadgets that I don't want to deal with if I keep it more than 3 years or if I sell it or give it to my nephew he'll be protected. 700 bucks is nothing for the coverage that I received. You can return that extended warranty from your dealer and buy from the internet dealer that I did. Just a thought.

Blackssr

Reactions
That is the beauty of an Internet forum.. I think I belong to every American car forum. I've owned almost every cool car to come out of Detroit and and I still learn something new from guys on all forums. A lot of them I'm still friends with after 20 years.

Blackssr

Reactions
Anyone have a preference on warranty companies? I was quoted 4K through Ford protect for 8 years 150k miles. Seems a bit lofty but it’s the only plan they have that covers the electronics components.[/QUOTE

Flood Ford latest pricing for their plans. do you really plan on keeping this car eight years to spend that kind of coin on an extended warranty. It's almost 6% of the purchase price?

Screenshot_20210106-225349_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Definitely appreciate that. 8 years no, the mileage is always what gets me on these things. Couldn’t tailor the term based on the length and mileage with a couple of the ones I looked at, so this is a much more viable option. Thanks for the help!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hit 28K miles. Started calling around Ford dealerships to get the Premium Care 5yr/75Kmile extended warranty price (every dealership has a different price). The first dealership stated there is already an extended warranty on the vehicle from the previous owner.
Then they called back 30mins later to say I'll have to buy a new extended warranty because the contract is in the previous owners name.

Doesn't the extended warranty transfer with the vehicle?

Reactions
no, never have and never will. Dealership tried hard, even pulled out the adaptive cruise sensor and said "this little guy here is $2000". I told them the adaptive cruise is the first thing I'm disabling when get the keys! Turns out it's not $2000.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hit 28K miles. Started calling around Ford dealerships to get the Premium Care 5yr/75Kmile extended warranty price (every dealership has a different price). The first dealership stated there is already an extended warranty on the vehicle from the previous owner.
Then they called back 30mins later to say I'll have to buy a new extended warranty because the contract is in the previous owners name.

Doesn't the extended warranty transfer with the vehicle?
That's a good question. Another question is why the first owner wouldn't just request a full refund since the extended warranty hasn't even started yet.

Reactions
Full warranty as well as scheduled maintenance. Purchased with the X Plan it was next to free.