Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Defects and a Missing Part on Our ST

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1279.JPG
Waxed the Explorer for the first time today. The first picture is the right rear splashguard. Found the left rear splashguard is missing. Wasn't put on at the factory ! Two disturbing body defects. Right front passenger door has a nice nick out of the edge of the door. Left rear door has a pair of matching scratches up by the window trim. That picture is magnified, not noticeable unless you are looking for it. Both body defects have paint and clear over them. I'll have the dealer put on the guard, but I think I'll live with the flaws. What the heck are they doing at Chicago Assembly? Build date was 8/20.

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
IMG_1280.JPG
Here is another pic of the scratches on the right rear door . As stated, these are actually small and hard to see. I'm wondering what caused them as they are identical in shape. Maybe the bottom window trim install? Anyhow, the dealer ordered the missing guard piece and a Star White paint pen so I can touch these up.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
View attachment 4421
Here is another pic of the scratches on the right rear door . As stated, these are actually small and hard to see. I'm wondering what caused them as they are identical in shape. Maybe the bottom window trim install? Anyhow, the dealer ordered the missing guard piece and a Star White paint pen so I can touch these up.
Mine purchased in Dec. 2019 had a ding inside the passenger front door jam but didn't notice it until after a week or so. There was a barely noticeable swirl in the paint on the rear driver side door sill.

Reactions
You’re smart leaving the paint flaws alone and not having them repaint it. It’s amazing the defects you find when detailing a car. I was exceptionally lucky with mine and I’m OCD about that stuff too. The one and ONLY defect I have on mine is the door at the front of the console. The left side of it doesn’t release right so I have to mess with it to get it to open. I’ll fix it myself. Can’t complain too much about that.

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Mine purchased in Dec. 2019 had a ding inside the passenger front door jam but didn't notice it until after a week or so. There was a barely noticeable swirl in the paint on the rear driver side door sill.
You’re smart leaving the paint flaws alone and not having them repaint it. It’s amazing the defects you find when detailing a car. I was exceptionally lucky with mine and I’m OCD about that stuff too. The one and ONLY defect I have on mine is the door at the front of the console. The left side of it doesn’t release right so I have to mess with it to get it to open. I’ll fix it myself. Can’t complain too much about that.
I’ve owned quite a few new Fords over the years, and none have had “perfect paint” from the factory. Overall, the paint looks pretty good on our ST. Ford has had too much going on all at once and quality has suffered. New platform, total re-tool of Chicago Assembly, and personnel issues has caused a lot of problems.

Reactions
Ford has a LOT of issues with the ST. For a 60,000 vehicle it’s built like crap.

Reactions
Ford has a LOT of issues with the ST. For a 60,000 vehicle it’s built like crap.
It's not just the ST, but no matter what it is disappointing with the cost of vehicles now

REO1378

Reactions
These look like cat claw scratches. I have a couple of these on my F-250!
View attachment 4421