Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CVT boots leaking grease

Bricke Brookshire

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Anyone having issues with CVT boots leaking grease? Ford replaced my left one at 10000 miles, now the right is slinging grease too. I wonder if the clamping of the boots is a problem.....

Reactions
My tire shop noticed lots of grease on my driver front suspension and that while the CV boot looked fine, it was loose at the narrow end and free to move up and down the shaft.

The grease looked weeks old and I had just had dealer service 3 days previous. I guess they missed it...

I took it to another dealer and it was fixed under warranty at 30k miles.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
I think I may have both CV boots leaking grease on mine at 35,000 miles and just less than a month past the 36 month warranty. I did purchase a Premium extended warranty for 7 years/84K miles. Hopefully these will be covered under warranty. Does anyone know if this had a recall or TSB on it because of the clamp being too tight and damaging the boots?

Reactions
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a recall or TSB for the CV joint boots.

hbalek

Reactions
UPDATE: I went in for an oil change on Thursday, and they confirmed both CV boots are leaking and must be replaced. They ordered parts for me and one is on backorder. This will be under powertrain warranty with no deductible, as I am at over 36,200 miles. My Extended Warranty would have covered this after the powertrain warranty ends and would have a $100 deductible.