Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CVF Intercooler Install

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
To those who've had experience installing this IC, what exactly did you have to modify to make this work? Mechanic is saying that they have to mod the hose work and remove the radiator to install it. The CVF website says it's supposed to be a drop-in with no mods needed. Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Hi All,
To those who've had experience installing this IC, what exactly did you have to modify to make this work? Mechanic is saying that they have to mod the hose work and remove the radiator to install it. The CVF website says it's supposed to be a drop-in with no mods needed. Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Your mechanic doesnt know what hes talking about... I have a CVF IC and my 14 y.o. did majority of the install - for real.. SUPER SIMPLE - that and theres TONS of videos online for the install.. id delete that dudes number asap lol

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Your mechanic doesnt know what hes talking about... I have a CVF IC and my 14 y.o. did majority of the install - for real.. SUPER SIMPLE - that and theres TONS of videos online for the install.. id delete that dudes number asap lol
Well, this guy's got the job because it's an auto body place that's repairing a scratch and had to take the bumper off so I was taking advantage of this condition to install the IC. I guess I'll look up one of the tutorials and send it to them. Thanks for the reply MacandCheeseST!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
No problem! Best of luck!!

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
No problem! Best of luck!!
Thanks! Did you remove the shutters also and did that cause any CELs?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
yes, They pop right off! no

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hi All,
Thanks!
Go to a different place. You do not have to do any of that. Only thing that isn’t drop in is you need to trim the rubber surround but that’s it.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Go to a different place. You do not have to do any of that. Only thing that isn’t drop in is you need to trim the rubber surround but that’s it.
Thanks for the hit. Unfortunately, they already have it apart for repairing a scratch. I did send them a youtube tutorial with blow by blow instructions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thanks for the hit. Unfortunately, they already have it apart for repairing a scratch. I did send them a youtube tutorial with blow by blow instructions.
Call around to other shops. What they said is never could cost more than other shops even if they already have it off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If they have the bumper off, just go over there and install the IC yourself, the bumper remove/replace is like 95+ % of the work. Just a thought.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If they have the bumper off, just go over there and install the IC yourself, the bumper remove/replace is like 95+ % of the work. Just a thought.
They might not let him due to liability issues.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Thought about that myself if there were any more issues but they've installed it. They ascertained that it was a drop-in after they removed a few more parts.
They hadn't removed the crash bar or headlights until I sent them the tutorial.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thought about that myself if there were any more issues but they've installed it. They ascertained that it was a drop-in after they removed a few more parts.
They hadn't removed the crash bar or headlights until I sent them the tutorial.
They were probably confusing the stock IC with the radiator...because who would put such a small IC in this vehicle...:D

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
They were probably confusing the stock IC with the radiator...because who would put such a small IC in this vehicle...:D
Right? :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So? Did the install complete? You all good?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
I didn’t have to trim anything my wife and I did it in about 4 hours start to finish. Not a fun install but not hard. Bolts right up with no fitment issues.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
So? Did the install complete? You all good?
All is well! Had to take it back because they forgot a couple of the park assist sensors but they took care of it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
All is well! Had to take it back because they forgot a couple of the park assist sensors but they took care of it.
Nice!
I picked up a Whipple IC from a forum member and need to install it.
I'm eying the aFe hot and cold charge pipes and figure I need to do them both at the same time. (I'm a sucker for red crinkle coat...)

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
Nice!
I picked up a Whipple IC from a forum member and need to install it.
I'm eying the aFe hot and cold charge pipes and figure I need to do them both at the same time. (I'm a sucker for red crinkle coat...)

Good luck with that! Is this your first mod?