Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cruise control has a mind of it's own

Mize442

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced the following. The following happens alot.

Cruise is set at 60mph then all of a sudden it jumps to 70 and sometimes even 80mph. I haven't touched any control or buttons, brake or gas pedal.

It will even go from 74mph to 60 on its own.

Thanks for any help

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Adaptive cruise control set high but on a heavily traveled road?
I discovered that if you hold the set button on the "+" side the cruise control will rapidly run the numbers up on your "set." You may be experiencing this without realizing it.

OP
M

Mize442

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have experienced what you mentioned, but this will happen without even touching anything on that side of the steering wheel.

Reactions
There is also Intelligent Cruise Control. You can set your cruise speed a certain mph over/under the posted speed limit, and the car automatically adjusts. i.e... You set your desired limit at +15 mph. If the road you are on's speed limit is 55, your car will automatically go to 70. If the speed limit is 30, you will go 45.

Tammyjr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer
Help my car pick up speed when in cruise control. I was told by a attorney for ford no one else is having this problem. Please email me now navigation screen is not working and radio goes static. Mind of its own.

AkD3ntFix

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you give it a little gas while in adaptive. And happen to close the gab with the vehicle in front. The adaptive distance will break fairly hard to shave speed to maintain the distance that is set.

if your have cruse set at 80. Come up behind someone doing 70. You’ll slow down and keep assured distance that’s set in the adaptive. Holding that spacing till they move over. Once the lane is clear. You willl accelerate back up go 80. Till the next slow obstruction.

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If you give it a little gas while in adaptive. And happen to close the gab with the vehicle in front. The adaptive distance will break fairly hard to shave speed to maintain the distance that is set.

if your have cruse set at 80. Come up behind someone doing 70. You’ll slow down and keep assured distance that’s set in the adaptive. Holding that spacing till they move over. Once the lane is clear. You willl accelerate back up go 80. Till the next slow obstruction.
Lets be honest here, they don't move over. :)