Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cracked OEM downpipes, leaking exhaust joints and flex joint rattles

F=MA

Reactions
Recently read some old posts about cracked OEM downpipes, leaking exhaust joints and flex joint rattles. Someone mentioned they had a rattle at 1500 rpm. Recently installed the Magnaflow #19515 system and it has a vibration that shakes the interior around 1500 rpm. Perhaps these are related somehow so wanted folks to share what they determined. When I received my Magnaflow #19515 system the passenger mid-pipe was not expanded to fit over the OEM downpipe. Midas had to expand it and they were worried about cracking it. I informed Magnaflow today and hopefully they will send me a replacement passenger mid-pipe expanded correctly. Perhaps that Midas-made slip joint may be rattling at 1500 rpm. I am taking it back for them to check. Maybe they pushed too hard to get it on the downpipe and cracked the downpipe. I do not know if thats possible but just wanted others to share any possible similar experiences. I had no vibration issues with the Borla S-type previously installed. The Magnaflow system has a lot deeper tone so it figures it will cause stronger vibrations.

Attachments

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Recently read some old posts about cracked OEM downpipes, leaking exhaust joints and flex joint rattles. Someone mentioned they had a rattle at 1500 rpm. Recently installed the Magnaflow #19515 system and it has a vibration that shakes the interior around 1500 rpm. Perhaps these are related somehow so wanted folks to share what they determined. When I received my Magnaflow #19515 system the passenger mid-pipe was not expanded to fit over the OEM downpipe. Midas had to expand it and they were worried about cracking it. I informed Magnaflow today and hopefully they will send me a replacement passenger mid-pipe expanded correctly. Perhaps that Midas-made slip joint may be rattling at 1500 rpm. I am taking it back for them to check. Maybe they pushed too hard to get it on the downpipe and cracked the downpipe. I do not know if thats possible but just wanted others to share any possible similar experiences. I had no vibration issues with the Borla S-type previously installed. The Magnaflow system has a lot deeper tone so it figures it will cause stronger vibrations.
I’ve heard the oem flex pipes are experiencing crazy vibration. Now that I have the SPD dps on I’m getting custom midpipes built with stronger flex pipes to help. Magnaflow should come thru.

Zim

Reactions
There was a bulletin I ready that Ford suggested just putting a clamp on the flex pipes to stop the rattling. Mines bone stock other than wheels and I have that issue as well. Haven’t gotten around to trying that. Cracked downpipes tho?