Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cousins! 2020 Lincoln Aviator

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel like I know some of you more than I'd like to already xD
Didn't meet the black tie policy for the Lincoln forums, so here I am.

I've got a couple questions, but mainly here to get it all written down -- step 1 of a scientific procedure. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon... maybe eventually some answers.

My mods will be 'tasteful' as a daily driver. HOWEVER, I want power and agility... and a few truck upgrades (s/o Texas).

Got my list of entry part mods planned in three iterations:
1. safety & maintenance; 2. fluid & thermo-dynamics; 3. performance.

1. safety & maintenance
>>First, a UPR oil catch can. https://www.uprproducts.com/2020-23...al-valve-oil-catch-can-plug-n-play-with-ecss/ Don't tell me a Mishimoto or JLT does 90% or whatever...
Can anyone comment to the performance of UPR? I'm talking about their optional add ons -- "Billet Pro Series Check Valve" and "Adjustable Hi-Flo Billet PCV Fitting". I'd really like to see some data on UPR's claims -- "failure prone stock PVC", "HP and MPG increase". Kindly, no 'look at UPR's description'. I get the theory.
>>Meanwhile, front and rear strut braces. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-1030-explorer-adjustable-rear-swaybar ; https://afepower.com/afe-power-450-30t002-g-afe-control-front-strut-brace

2. fluid and thermo
>>Next, a Whipple CVF intercooler (would love for someone to convince me whipple is better)
Any information on installation for an Aviator?? I suppose it'll be the same as an explorer, just with a few extra steps... definitely nervous about this.
>>accompanied by a AFE momentum cold air intake https://afepower.com/afe-power-50-70076r-momentum-gt-cold-air-intake-system-w-pro-5r-filters

**I don't plan on addressing the exhaust anytime soon. So in reality (my dreams) I'll revisit down-pipes, maybe a whole exhaust if I get a good promotion in 2024, after 3. performance

3. performance
>>Eventually I'll start shopping tunes. I'm ignorant on the subject rn. I heard livernoise changes the transmission's shift pattern and paddle-shift-engagement, in ways that I prefer stock.
>>GOnna have to start another thread outlining differences in the two platforms. Especially on engine/ trans. I've a tow package, not sure exactly (mechanically) what that adds... Anyways, if I get good feedback here, I'll keep u guys posted on my build.

This is the plan for now.. See how far down this path I get... I'll be ordering tonight!!! [twothumb]
-Chaser

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel like I know some of you more than I'd like to already xD

I've got a couple questions, but mainly here to get it all written down -- step 1 of a scientific procedure. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon... maybe eventually some answers.

My mods will be 'tasteful' as a daily driver. HOWEVER, I want power and agility... and a few truck upgrades (s/o Texas).

1. safety & maintenance
>>First, a UPR oil catch can. https://www.uprproducts.com/2020-23...al-valve-oil-catch-can-plug-n-play-with-ecss/ Don't tell me a Mishimoto or JLT does 90% or whatever...
Can anyone comment to the performance of UPR? I'm talking about their optional add ons -- "Billet Pro Series Check Valve" and "Adjustable Hi-Flo Billet PCV Fitting". I'd really like to see some data on UPR's claims -- "failure prone stock PVC", "HP and MPG increase". Kindly, no 'look at UPR's description'. I get the theory.
>>Meanwhile, front and rear strut braces. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-1030-explorer-adjustable-rear-swaybar ; https://afepower.com/afe-power-450-30t002-g-afe-control-front-strut-brace

2. fluid and thermo
>>Next, a Whipple CVF intercooler (would love for someone to convince me whipple is better)
Any information on installation for an Aviator?? I suppose it'll be the same as an explorer, just with a few extra steps... definitely nervous about this.
>>accompanied by a AFE momentum cold air intake https://afepower.com/afe-power-50-70076r-momentum-gt-cold-air-intake-system-w-pro-5r-filters

**I don't plan on addressing the exhaust anytime soon. So in reality (my dreams) I'll revisit down-pipes, maybe a whole exhaust if I get a good promotion in 2024, after 3. performance

3. performance
>>Eventually I'll start shopping tunes. I'm ignorant on the subject rn. I heard livernoise changes the transmission's shift pattern and paddle-shift-engagement, in ways that I prefer stock.
>>GOnna have to start another thread outlining differences in the two platforms. Especially on engine/ trans. I've a tow package, not sure exactly (mechanically) what that adds... Anyways, if I get good feedback here, I'll keep u guys posted on my build.

This is the plan for now.. See how far down this path I get... I'll be ordering tonight!!! [twothumb]
-Chaser
Welcome to the forum.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

1. safety & maintenance

2. fluid and thermo

3. performance

-Chaser
Welcome to the forum.

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #6
TMac! I've your write up on turbos bookmarked! Thanks for the link... I'll work my way through that rn.
Looks like @PlatinumST had the same mindset as me... and more money too heheh

A couple questions:
BOV?? I does the engine really need that much help with P management? I thought it was more of a sound/ cool factor with these Fords?
Any data of UPR's oil catch can claims for the added options? "Better MPG and low speed responsiveness". Maybe I can call and add it to my order..

I definitely overlooked the suspension. TBH, it's a pavement princess... mostly. The aviator is also much different with air suspension -- which I've no experience in -- so you definitely given me food for thought.
Yeah.. I'll follow that rabbit trail real good.. thanks!

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #7

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
TMac! I've your write up on turbos bookmarked! Thanks for the link... I'll work my way through that rn.
Looks like @PlatinumST had the same mindset as me... and more money too heheh

A couple questions:
BOV?? I does the engine really need that much help with P management? I thought it was more of a sound/ cool factor with these Fords?
Any data of UPR's oil catch can claims for the added options? "Better MPG and low speed responsiveness". Maybe I can call and add it to my order..

I definitely overlooked the suspension. TBH, it's a pavement princess... mostly. The aviator is also much different with air suspension -- which I've no experience in -- so you definitely given me food for thought.
Yeah.. I'll follow that rabbit trail real good.. thanks!
Once you read that thread, don't be too upset at the conclusion- which was that he decided to sell the car. Having a 10 second daily driver is very, very difficult.

If you have a 2020, you probably have a factory BOV. After that it was deleted. Some people add them for the "whoosh" sound. Some nice nostalgia I guess to '90s turbo cars.

Anything that purports to give you "Better MPG" is suspect. For example, you might hear claims of air filters increasing gas mileage. That would only be true if the existing air filter was so filthy and restricted that it caused pumping losses at part throttle. I do agree with the UPR claim "Other benefits consist of extended spark plug life, more efficient combustion, and a vehicle that does not suffer from performance degradation over time..."

OP
Chaser
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Thread Starter #9
Once you read that thread, don't be too upset at the conclusion- which was that he decided to sell the car. Having a 10 second daily driver is very, very difficult.

If you have a 2020, you probably have a factory BOV. After that it was deleted. Some people add them for the "whoosh" sound. Some nice nostalgia I guess to '90s turbo cars.

Anything that purports to give you "Better MPG" is suspect. For example, you might hear claims of air filters increasing gas mileage. That would only be true if the existing air filter was so filthy and restricted that it caused pumping losses at part throttle. I do agree with the UPR claim "Other benefits consist of extended spark plug life, more efficient combustion, and a vehicle that does not suffer from performance degradation over time..."
Nah, I'm over the coupe, sedan phase.. tbh, this Lincoln gets up there as stock. Car before this was also a 3.0 V6 supercharged '12 Audi A6; this vehicle is 2X the weight and less top speed, but merging acceleration is insane! [loveboost] If I wanted a 10 second 2.5 ton car, I'd have bought a V8 for sure... (I was looking at the SQ7's [:o)])
My design philosophy has always been practicality is sexy, that's why idc about exhausts or launching from stopped... that much.

Yeah... I was looking for an excuse to buy the UPD add-ons, but went with the old adage "if you have to ask you don't need it". I am very curious to see if it helps with the low speed/rpm throttle control. If I notice major improvements I'll revisit

Better stop day dreaming and get back to work... can't let the boss see this much fun

Last edited: