Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Coolant Recovery Cap

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Found nothing by searching for this. I've never had the cap off of the recovery tank. Antifreeze was at the min mark cold. I could get it to turn a couple rounds but no more. (turned hard) Short of busting the tank, it's not coming off. Anyone else have this issue?

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
The first couple of rounds are not that hard at the midpoint. It’s very hard to turn after the midpoint. It becomes easy again, and the cap comes off. That’s the way it is designed.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
When putting The cap back on continue tightening until you hear, and you will feel the click. That is the stop point.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Found nothing by searching for this. I've never had the cap off of the recovery tank. Antifreeze was at the min mark cold. I could get it to turn a couple rounds but no more. (turned hard) Short of busting the tank, it's not coming off. Anyone else have this issue?
Check your private messages (Conversations ) I sent you one

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Check your private messages (Conversations ) I sent you one
Thanks Rick for responding to the post. I'll try it again tomorrow.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Seeing if you were successful in getting the cap off? Mine is indeed hard to get off and on, I figured it was for safety reasons.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Seeing if you were successful in getting the cap off? Mine is indeed hard to get off and on, I figured it was for safety reasons.
Yes Autoworker was able to get the cap off … again The first couple of rounds are not that hard at the midpoint It’s very hard to turn after the midpoint. It becomes easy again, and the cap comes off. That’s the way it is designed. If your wife Has some rubber dishwashing gloves use one of them dry it will give you the grip you need to get it past the midpoint.