Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Coolant Leak at 900km

Reactions
Brand new ST in white, all options, just over 900km on odometer.
Took a friend for a short ride, a lot shorter than wanted because we both noticed white smoke behind it.
Came back & promptly parked, open the hood to find coolant sprayed on the passenger side on top of motor. Could see small amounts of coolant dripping down in front of front passenger tire.
No big leaks noticed underneath vehicle. Nothing leaking off top of motor with brief restart to investigate. No check engine light yet, no coolant warnings or engine temp increases.
But something let go.
New vehicle, not even 3 weeks old, 900 Km on it and now off to the dealer first thing in the morning to find out the problem and damage done. Of course, doing so in a borrowed vehicle.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hope it's something minor. Quality control is generally good in the engine/assembly plants, but mistakes do happen. Let us know what you find out.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I found the problem this morning. Went to Ford first thing this morning, told them what happened. Said I could top up with coolant & drive to dealership as no warnings came on yesterday during failure. They gave me a jug of coolant to fill and bring it in.

Able to do this in a small town (Drumheller) and only 2-3 kms from the dealer.

Poured the coolant in, could hear it filling the radiator. One jug later, coolant level still below minimum in overflow. Added water to top off, took another 1/2 jug.

Then started and instantly saw the problem. Now with coolant in the radiator there was something to leak out.

Can see hose detached. Where & what hose attaches to.
66B1516C-BE19-49C3-AD29-52B0B6BFF818.jpeg 706DE3A3-FA6C-43CF-8098-BC2AF09155CC.jpeg ADF5ACDE-4D49-4666-B888-A3DC1705104F.jpeg EE7FFFD0-985A-4D7E-A84B-34086C271719.jpeg 66B1516C-BE19-49C3-AD29-52B0B6BFF818.jpeg 706DE3A3-FA6C-43CF-8098-BC2AF09155CC.jpeg ADF5ACDE-4D49-4666-B888-A3DC1705104F.jpeg EE7FFFD0-985A-4D7E-A84B-34086C271719.jpeg
Hose clamp from factory locked open and not tensioned in place. Factory defect!

I replaced oem clamp with standard screwdriver adjustable clamp and secured in place where it belongs.

Vehicle is at dealership to have coolant replaced, check all hose clamps they can to ensure they are properly installed and of course assess for any othe damage.

I’m hoping because we parked the vehicle before any low coolant warnings or check engine lights came on that the engine block had its retained coolant while running and we just emptied the radiator when the unsecured hose blew off.

Attachments

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unbelievable. Chalk another one up to Chicago Assembly's Quality Control. If you were to have issues down the road, at least it's documented.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I will be sending Ford of Canada a letter with video & pictures displaying their failure.

Vehicle back from local dealer, when I left it there I reminded them that the cooling system now had lots of air in it from the leak and coolant/water I added to get it there.

They never purged the system. Left dealer with overflow reservoir full of coolant. Arrived home with empty reservoir. Air still burping out.

So I have another jug of coolant to top up reservoir as needed, while air continues to displace.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Spoke to a Ford Service manager today, asked why I didn’t even get a low coolant warning. He said there is no low coolant sensor on the vehicle.
There’s a coolant temperature sensor, which wouldn’t of tripped because it needs coolant to operate.
There is also a cylinder head temperature sensor.

Finally know the name of the part that had the coolant line failure, it was the engine oil cooler. Specifically the output line off the oil cooler which T’s into the center section of the upper radiator hose.

Raym80

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I just had the same thing happen to my 2022… has stranded me twice now… just empty’s all the coolant it’s back at the dealer for a second as I type.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Happens twice?? You had a hose come off because of an improperly set hose clamp twice now?

What hoses came off.

Dan2022ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just had this exact same thing happen in my new 2022 Ford Explorer ST with just over a 1000 miles on it. Massive coolant leak and had to have it towed to the dealer. I showed the mechanic pictures from this thread and he said that’s exactly what happened to mine. Clamp not on correctly.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Did they document it with pictures? Curious if it actually was the “same” thing being an improperly tensioned clamp and to what connection? Mine was to the oil cooler.

Dan2022ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
They didn’t take photos. He was explaining the clamp wasn’t on correctly and then I showed him the photos from the thread and he confirmed same hose and clamp. He even had me show a couple other employees the photos to explain what the problem was.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
In that case it sounds like Ford has an assembly line issue imo. When I tried calling Ford Customer Service about it, they couldn’t of cared less. I wonder if Ford gives a damn about this issue. They would if it had been 2 warranty claims for blown engines due to coolant starvation.

Raym80

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So an update…. On the second time they fixed it, the dealer said the new part has been re-engineered, completely different part number! Failures were about 3 weeks apart.

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Part re-engineered? What part was that?
Do you have the part number?

Raym80

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Part re-engineered? What part was that?
Do you have the part number?
Ill request the paperwork from the dealer, this is what the service manager told me... I didn't get the paperwork because the car died in the vallet line, at a hotel with my two kids and wife! We were on vacation, and so, i needed to ship the car home after it was fixed, was never at the dealer. To add to the bogus nature of this, Ford didnt pay to ship the car back to me or the tow to the dealer, even after the second time this failed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Reviving and old thread here as my 23 dumped it’s coolant last night. Short, easy 8 minute drive home from a friend’s house. No warning lights and temp was reading normal. Noticed smoke (steam?) rolling out from under the hood when I parked in the driveway. Popped the hood and coolant was everywhere. It was too dark for me to really see much of anything, but the engine was COOKING. Checked the hoses this morning and can’t see any that have came loose, but not exactly sure where the hose referenced above is located. Engine is COVERED in coolant. Luckily, my house is less than 300 yards from the dealership. I’ll run it over today and leave the keys in the drop box and see what they say tomorrow. Do y’all think I should add some coolant or water before I drive it over? Almost hate to as I want them to see it like it sits.

Coming from an 07 Eddie Bower that never left me anywhere - 22 days into ownership and I’m stranded. Just over 500 miles on the clock. Gave the old Ex to my father currently two hours away. Wife is out of town for work. What a mess.

72FF3505-308F-4777-A94C-79473D88DA3B.jpeg 743AA874-9236-4B8B-B990-1F51EB91441F.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ill request the paperwork from the dealer, this is what the service manager told me... I didn't get the paperwork because the car died in the vallet line, at a hotel with my two kids and wife! We were on vacation, and so, i needed to ship the car home after it was fixed, was never at the dealer. To add to the bogus nature of this, Ford didnt pay to ship the car back to me or the tow to the dealer, even after the second time this failed.
Ford will always pay for the tow to the closest dealer from where you broke down if you are under warranty. Ford contacts the towing service they have a contract with and you should never see a bill, trust me I know from experience.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Update. Vehicle was towed today. Exact same issue as OP with a faulty?? hose clamp going to the oil cooler. Replaced the hose clamp, checked the others, and washed the engine bay. You guys should probably take a peep at your hose clamps…