Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Consumers Reports doesn't like the new Explorer

Reactions

Mstryszo

Reactions
CR notes that the Explorer’s base 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 doesn’t offer a fuel economy advantage over its V6-powered competition, and found the 10-speed automatic transmission to be a bit rough when changing gears.
3.0L Eco Boost > V-6 Competition

scottyculp68

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
We bought our '21 ST mid July. I read that CR article and had to calm down the wife after she saw it posted on FB by one of her friends. I had researched the Edge and Explorer models and had decided either car we went with would have the Eco V6. That Eco I-4 with 10spd auto just never came across as fuel and power efficient to me. Very happy with our ST so far.

Reactions
Well I for one can get 32 mpg with my atlas blue limited 4cyl . So unless the st gets 30 mpg I see a benefit

scottyculp68

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Mine averages about 20-24mpg. I personally think folks like CR are biased anyway. My belief is if you take care of the vehicle with routine and interval maintenance; it will perform better over the length of time you have it.

Reactions
communist reports is a rag, ST is a different animal,

Reactions
Oh no the dreaded I get better gas mileage than You post.
You have me all wrong and please understand I chose my 4cyl on purpose. With that being said my limited is a lemon and up getting an st to replace it. I know full well no comparison in fuel economy!
Also figured I would give the bored out 2.7l a shot.
My 4 cyl is rwd only and has decent get up. But all that aside my comment should have been a bit clearer they say the fuel saving on the 4cyl aren't that much better than the 6cyl is what I was directed to. I constantly surpass the epa rating. Each driver and conditions may vary.

RAS1

Reactions

RAS1

Reactions
That is my feeling, much better in all categories, thanks for the response.

Reactions
I am happy with my ST, it does what I ask it to do so far. Fits my 2 kids comfortably, with a 3rd coming soon. Scares my kids and my wife. I don't care about the 2 verses 1 bolt drivetrain, if I blow it up, Ford can fix it and she looks great compared to the other SUV crap that's out there.

Reactions
If you buy cars on a semi-informed review from internet opinions rather than a test drive, you should buy a Telluride.

Reactions
If you buy cars on a semi-informed review from internet opinions rather than a test drive, you should buy a Telluride.
Agreed here.....Reviews are always biased it seems. Also sometimes I think they are also paid by the automaker. When I was in the market I test drove the the explorer ST, Telluride, and Lexus RX.......All I can really say is the Kia and Lexus had really nice interior....I don't pay too much attention to the interior when Im driving and the explorer had all the same features. Neither one of those SUV could match the explorers driving experience...not even close. The Kia seemed to struggle sometimes I thought.

Ford Forever

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Well I for one can get 32 mpg with my atlas blue limited 4cyl . So unless the st gets 30 mpg I see a benefit
I'm seriously not trying to be a dick here but isn't this Forum for ST model Explorers? Why are you comparing the gas mileage from a 4cyl Limited model to the 6 cyl ST model? Just asking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
i did tons of research on the ST before i bought mine, was back and forth between the ST and a powerboost F150. Just about everything i read/watched on the ST was positive with the exception of 1-2 articles. And than i drove the damn thing... and that itself was the decision maker lol.