Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Condensation in headlights?

Reactions
Same with mine, been noticing it happening more lately as the weather has gotten more colder up here in WA.

OP
Swan

Swan

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
This is from the manual, so I guess they’d call this “acceptable” condensation...

Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps

Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.

Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.

Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

Examples of acceptable condensation are:
• The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
• A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
• A water puddle inside the lamp.
• Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

Reactions
Have not noticed any but haven't looked that closely either. I'll have to check.

Reactions
My Fusion fogs up the same way as well. Haven't noticed this happening on the ST yet.

Tax Man

Reactions
Same condensation issue with my new explorer platinum model

Reactions
Had condensation in head lights and tail lights. Dried up and haven’t had an issue since pick ip

hbalek

Reactions
Same here, happened once the day I brought it home from the dealer. Never noticed it again after 2 months of ownership. I think it was after detailing and sudden drop in temperatures.

Attachments

maxroman

Reactions
I live in South Florida. I have condensation on both of my front headlights and rear window exterior light above the window wipers. Is this normal? I think any light bulb copper piece would deteriorate damaging the bulb or maybe dust would enter those areas.

Attachments

Dave01

Reactions
Well my 2020 has a related problem. The plastic lens has multiple cracks in it on the rt side. I had the dealer replace since if it fails it is a safety issue. The contacted Ford Warranty but they said no. Any suggestions I how I should proceed to get them to re evaluate the claim?
IMG_5762.jpg IMG_5763.jpg

Reactions
Good luck. On my F350 Tremor, multiple lines and significant condensation on the inside of lens. No go. Ford said no. Dealer said the the light basically has to be half full of water before they will replace. Not real happy. Guess it’s a super expensive part and they use any excuse not to replace. Sorry could not be more help.

Dave01

Reactions
Well with multiple cracks that are almost completely threw the plastic, it would only have been a matter of time where a complete piece would have fallen off. That in turn would likely caused the headlight to fail. I didn't want that to happen so I had it replaced. About $1,800 later it is fixed. My Explorer is only 14 month old, & there was no evidence of a stone strike. I guess I will continue to push my case. I probable will report it to NHSTA but that will probably end up being a Black Hole.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's hard even for me that kind of crack would just appear without an impact. You never know if it got damaged while parked somewhere.