Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

[Coming Soon] AWE Exhaust Suite for Ford Explorer ST

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Update: The AWE Exhaust Suite for the Explorer ST is live, right this way.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
We need to hear a side-by-side with Thermal's 3" exhaust. If you can best them, this system should sell well.

OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
We need to hear a side-by-side with Thermal's 3" exhaust. If you can best them, this system should sell well.
In the name of sportsmanship, we like to stand on our own with the best possible soundtrack we can create, rather than compare ourselves to other brands. (y)

Either way, I thought the engineering team knocked it out of the park with this one and I think everyone is going to be very pleased with the soundtrack :cool:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I get that completely and I'd want to showcase my products too. I don't mean to be obnoxious, but making the claim of 'the best" when there is only one player in the game can be a little misleading. It's like saying, I'm the tallest person in the room when you're the only one there.

I simply picked a system that I've read about time and again on this site as being liked and seems to be respected. Sound is such a subjective thing.

OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I get that completely and I'd want to showcase my products too. I don't mean to be obnoxious, but making the claim of 'the best" when there is only one player in the game can be a little misleading. It's like saying, I'm the tallest person in the room when you're the only one there.

I simply picked a system that I've read about time and again on this site as being liked and seems to be respected. Sound is such a subjective thing.
Not obnoxious at all! I get what you are saying, we are just coming from a place of confidence in what we created.

Makes me even more excited for the community to experience it, won't be long now! :geek:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Will this also be a true 3" system including mid pipes? I have the Thermal 2.5" but was planning on swapping over to the Thermal 3" for the deeper sounds. If this will be a true 3" I may hold off and compare the two.

Also, I was seriously considering the Track Edition AWE for my DDHC before recommiting to the Explorer. Will the Explorer also have the Track and Touring Editions like the DDHC had available?

Reactions
These responses from AWE are cringe AF… just like their slogan.

Only time will tell if this actually sounds decent without drone. Hype is strong here, let’s hope it lives up to these high expectations they are setting.

At least it looks like the best exhaust so far!

Last edited:
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Will this also be a true 3" system including mid pipes? I have the Thermal 2.5" but was planning on swapping over to the Thermal 3" for the deeper sounds. If this will be a true 3" I may hold off and compare the two.

Also, I was seriously considering the Track Edition AWE for my DDHC before recommiting to the Explorer. Will the Explorer also have the Track and Touring Editions like the DDHC had available?
Only the Touring Edition for the Explorer ST. In testing, we found that the Touring was a perfect combination of sound when you are in the throttle and tame when you are cruising (y) I think everyone will be pleased with the end results.

OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
These responses from AWE are cringe AF… just like their slogan.

Only time will tell if this actually sounds decent without drone. Hype is strong here, let’s hope it lives up to these high expectations they are setting.

At least it looks like the best exhaust so far!
Not sure if you're familiar with us (but maybe you are since you hate my writing :LOL:)

We painstakingly design, engineer and test our systems right here in Horsham PA (would love to show you around the warehouse if you are local). So its not hype, we're proud of what we created and we think ST owners will be too, so forgive if my excitement comes off cringey, I am in my 30s afterall.

Regardless, time is not needed, you will get all of the sound clips and information today so you don't have to take my word for it. (y)

Reactions
Not sure if you're familiar with us (but maybe you are since you hate my writing :LOL:)

We painstakingly design, engineer and test our systems right here in Horsham PA (would love to show you around the warehouse if you are local). So its not hype, we're proud of what we created and we think ST owners will be too, so forgive if my excitement comes off cringey, I am in my 30s afterall.

Regardless, time is not needed, you will get all of the sound clips and information today so you don't have to take my word for it. (y)
Oh I'm well aware of AWE and the high quality products you guys produce I'm just an ass hat by trade. Waiting to hear good video clips of what it sounds like with aftermarket downpipes before I decide since most of these exhausts sound the same with the factory downpipes. This one actually seems to be pretty tame compared to others (which isn't a bad thing), looks wise you guys absolutely hit it out of the park!

Reactions
Vehicle
Only the Touring Edition for the Explorer ST. In testing, we found that the Touring was a perfect combination of sound when you are in the throttle and tame when you are cruising (y) I think everyone will be pleased with the end results.
You wouldn't happen to be in marketing would you? :p
Will the Track Edition be an option later?

OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
You wouldn't happen to be in marketing would you? :p
Will the Track Edition be an option later?
Technically yes I am in the marketing dept, but I do wear a lot of hats (I do our install/review videos, as well as the driving in those videos, among other things) you saying I'm due for a raise? :sneaky:

No Track Edition, if some additional explanation helps, those resonators at the back would be the only thing changed on the Track. They are straight-through by design and have 0 packing material. So when you are on throttle the sound would be very similar without them, their sole purpose is to kill drone frequencies, so the benefit being you can enjoy cruising at highway speeds. The EcoBoost engine is a difficult beast to tame (I know considering I have one lol) and I think without those resonators the in-cabin experience would not be as enjoyable.

Oh I'm well aware of AWE and the high quality products you guys produce I'm just an ass hat by trade. Waiting to hear good video clips of what it sounds like with aftermarket downpipes before I decide since most of these exhausts sound the same with the factory downpipes. This one actually seems to be pretty tame compared to others (which isn't a bad thing), looks wise you guys absolutely hit it out of the park!
Hey, at least you can freely admit it :LOL: I can live with writing not being my strong suit and let other talents shine :geek:

We are working on getting some 3rd party sound clips with downpipes, but we are at the mercy of a 3rd party's timeline for filming said videos. Good news is once we are provided them, or if I find any others in the wild, I will be sure to add to the thread for reference.

Reactions
Vehicle
Technically yes I am in the marketing dept, but I do wear a lot of hats (I do our install/review videos, as well as the driving in those videos, among other things) you saying I'm due for a raise? :sneaky:

No Track Edition, if some additional explanation helps, those resonators at the back would be the only thing changed on the Track. They are straight-through by design and have 0 packing material. So when you are on throttle the sound would be very similar without them, their sole purpose is to kill drone frequencies, so the benefit being you can enjoy cruising at highway speeds. The EcoBoost engine is a difficult beast to tame (I know considering I have one lol) and I think without those resonators the in-cabin experience would not be as enjoyable.

Hey, at least you can freely admit it :LOL: I can live with writing not being my strong suit and let other talents shine :geek:

We are working on getting some 3rd party sound clips with downpipes, but we are at the mercy of a 3rd party's timeline for filming said videos. Good news is once we are provided them, or if I find any others in the wild, I will be sure to add to the thread for reference.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but ship me the exhaust with black tips and I'll get you some sound clips with the SPD cated DPs :)

OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but ship me the exhaust with black tips and I'll get you some sound clips with the SPD cated DPs :)
Swingin' for the fences eh? :LOL:

If we aren't able to get clips from someone who already has it installed, we would likely bring in our own ST locally, but props for the attempt!

Reactions
Vehicle
Swingin' for the fences eh? :LOL:

If we aren't able to get clips from someone who already has it installed, we would likely bring in our own ST locally, but props for the attempt!
lol well that's boring...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The only problem with sound files that come from the marketing team is that any educated consumer knows that sound files can be manipulated.

I just (within the past 10 minutes) saw a competitor's exhaust system for an F150 over on the EcoBoost F150 truck forum. They were demoing a new trombone system with a sound file that was taken on a Dyno inside a building. That's much akin to lighting a firecracker inside a mailbox. Of course, it's going to make some noise. They also videoed making some donuts out in the snow.

Personally, I want to see a heads-up comparison between the new guy and a known entity before I lay close to $2K on the counter.

Taking down the 800 lb. Gorilla should be the goal and is where the money lies. In this, case there is already a great-sounding system slightly cheaper, checking the same boxes, and sitting in the same space. Gotta take the Gorilla's crown. ;)

Seriously though, I wish AWE much success.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The only problem with sound files that come from the marketing team is that any educated consumer knows that sound files can be manipulated.

I just (within the past 10 minutes) saw a competitor's exhaust system for an F150 over on the EcoBoost F150 truck forum. They were demoing a new trombone system with a sound file that was taken on a Dyno inside a building. That's much akin to lighting a firecracker inside a mailbox. Of course, it's going to make some noise. They also videoed making some donuts out in the snow.

Personally, I want to see a heads-up comparison between the new guy and a known entity before I lay close to $2K on the counter.

Taking down the 800 lb. Gorilla should be the goal and is where the money lies. In this, case there is already a great-sounding system slightly cheaper, checking the same boxes, and sitting in the same space. Gotta take the Gorilla's crown. ;)

So how would you set it up, smart phone on a tripod on the side of the street?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yes, but a GoPro on a tripod, from behind, and a couple of flybys, zero to sixty's going away, drop the hammer from 30 mph with GoPro on the vehicle. You'd need two similarly equipped vehicles as it would be difficult to throw 2 systems on the same vehicle. Same terrain, temp, time of day, etc.

Now if someone could measure the decibels at the same time... That would be interesting too.

Last edited:
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19

Sir, you could put a gun to my head and I wouldn't know how to manipulate a sound file :ROFLMAO: I get doing your due diligence, I do the same thing before I invest in parts for my own cars, but that's a little far-fetched.

At the end of the day, what good would it serve to put out a video that isn't representative of the actual product. If you look at our YouTube you'll see the exact same video hundreds of times because we treat our sound capture as a scientific expedition, the conditions are as neutral and repeatable as possible. We even switch versions (when there is more than one) on the tarmac the same day (I know i'm the one under the car :LOL:).

I've said it before, we aren't trying to 'take anyone down' that's not our style, and we are certainly not the 'new guy' with 30+ years of experience engineering exhaust systems for a variety of makes/models. We are here to display what we created and if I got a little over enthusiastic about this particular exhaust, it's just because I personally loved driving the ST with our system installed and compared to stock I was blown away.

I work with a very small team here and when we capture sound we do so as a reference for y'all so that you have as much info as possible to make an educated decision. We are very much an open book, and if you are ever in the Horsham PA area you are welcome to come on by for a tour of our manufacturing facility. [cheers]

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
New to the ST platform and the forum, coming from the F150 Ecoboost camp. I'm soaking up what I've read and have an idea of where to start. I was reading about this system on the ST page on FB yesterday. The review was pretty glowing as it was on his wife's ST. And so far, several members/vendors here have shown they have a damn good sense of humor too.