Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Coming out of a 2018 F-150 3.5L with a tune to Explorer ST...

nacdale

Reactions
I just picked up my new Explorer ST after being on the order blocks for almost 5 months. I just came out of a 2018 F-150 with 3.5L Eco Boost with a tune. So far I am not very impressed with the ST. Im hoping the tune brings it alive. Biggest thing is the Huge lag compared to the f150. Im leaning toward the ZFG tune based on many reports on here.

Biggest question i have is, Does the tune really help take care of the lag or is it just an overall improvement?

I really think it sucks that Ford didnt go with the 10R80 for the trans. We are severely limited torque wise because of this. But everyone knows this already.

I know its a turbo so there is always lag. But just curious on opinions.

Thanks

Reactions
Congrats on the new car but I mean... what did you expect? You went from a truck running mid 12's to an SUV running very high 13's.

Far as the lag, you still have a breaking point to cross and computer learning. It'll get better with miles. The issue IMO is the 10 speed tranny finding gears, that is the real lag. A ZFG tune definitely fixes this

Reactions
I hear ZFG is great for tunes and most use them due to their knowledge and gains you get so you cant go wrong. I went with JDM Engineering and the truck went from being slow to very fast with the tune and Whipple Intercooler which is a MUST! I believe Ford has the 0-60mph time in and around 5.2 to 5.6s. With tune and whipple I'm around 4.11s so quite the improvement. ZFG should be no different. You definitely want to get yourself a new IC though.
Tks.