Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Engine Tick

ranger900

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello - We picked up our new 2022 Stone Blue Explorer ST a few months ago and recently I started to notice an odd sound that was probably there from the start. Basically the car has a loud ticking sound that can be heard with the fan on its highest setting (if you listen closely) or clear as day with the fan off. The ticking is from just off idle to about 2000 rpm where the other engine noises drown it out. Also doesn't seem to do it in neutral.

The forum is a treasure trove of information, from that I have gathered it could be the high pressure fuel pump or possibly waste gate rattle. Oddly, the noise doesn't go away until you have driven the car around 20 minutes - the engine has been up to operating temperature way before the 20 minute mark which is confusing.

Has anyone experienced this with there ST. My previous vehicle was a 2021 F150 Lariat with the 2.7, which didn't have any ticking and If I am not mistaken its the same engine family as our 3.0s.

Besides this one issue, love the car. Excellent power, handling, braking, tight body structure and great looks as well.

Thanks everyone

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Check out this video at 2:39. Is this the “ticking” sound you’re experiencing? If so, it’s my understanding that these are the high pressure fuel injectors and are often referenced as
making a sewing machine-like noise. Mine makes this slight ticking as well, but it’s almost imperceptible from inside the cabin.

Also worth noting that these cars have a warm-up cycle that runs even louder for the first minute or so on a cold start, but it definitely shouldn’t last for 20 minutes.

OP
R

ranger900

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Check out this video at 2:39. Is this the “ticking” sound you’re experiencing? If so, it’s my understanding that these are the high pressure fuel injectors and are often referenced as
making a sewing machine-like noise. Mine makes this slight ticking as well, but it’s almost imperceptible from inside the cabin.

Also worth noting that these cars have a warm-up cycle that runs even louder for the first minute or so on a cold start, but it definitely shouldn’t last for 20 minutes.

Hey Skeek, thanks for the reply. It is somewhat like the sewing machine noise in the video you linked, but way louder and easily heard in the car.

You can hear it while driving slowly with the fan on full blast warming up the interior. Almost like a piece of the valve train isn't getting enough lube. Yet after you drive around for 15 minutes its completely gone and the engine sounds - idles perfect. Much smoother then my old 2.7 nano.

The car only has 2500km on it now, but thinking of an early oil change to see if that helps.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The light ticking sound is “normal” for Direct Injection engines, more prevalent on higher output turbocharged versions with greater fuel flow demands. Most have insulated covers over the engine to help damp the noises, but the ExST doesn’t for some reason. I can still hear the noise in mine at about 15k miles. I expect it to always be present. As the top of the engine warms up, especially the hpfp, the noise quiets down. It’s a lot of plastic, so it takes a little while.

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hey Skeek, thanks for the reply. It is somewhat like the sewing machine noise in the video you linked, but way louder and easily heard in the car.

You can hear it while driving slowly with the fan on full blast warming up the interior. Almost like a piece of the valve train isn't getting enough lube. Yet after you drive around for 15 minutes its completely gone and the engine sounds - idles perfect. Much smoother then my old 2.7 nano.

The car only has 2500km on it now, but thinking of an early oil change to see if that helps.
FORZDA raises a good point about the engine covers, but I've found that mine has an insulative panel attached to the hood which seems to quiet things down once I shut it. Can still hear the fuel injectors ticking when sitting in the cabin at idle but not while up to speed.

If it sounds more like a rattle vs. a consistent "tick," another common cause could be flex pipe rattle. This sound would be coming from the undercarriage though, not the engine bay. In the process of getting mine replaced this month as I can hear and feel it while sitting in the cabin at times. I raise this because it's also much more noticeable at slower speeds like you mentioned.

You can actually see and hear the flex pipes vibrating fairly easily if you look underneath.

Also, if you could post a video it would help the folks here determine whether or not it's a normal noise. :)

OP
R

ranger900

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Hello - Sorry for the late reply, swamped at work lately. I attached a quick video of the rattling sound my ST is making, please let me know if this is normal for the injectors or something to be worried about.
The spray paint can rattle sound lasts for 15-20 minutes when driving slowly around town. Well past the usual engine warm up period..

Thanks for your help

]

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello - Sorry for the late reply, swamped at work lately. I attached a quick video of the rattling sound my ST is making, please let me know if this is normal for the injectors or something to be worried about.
The spray paint can rattle sound lasts for 15-20 minutes when driving slowly around town. Well past the usual engine warm up period..

Thanks for your help
That's interesting because it sounds very similar to the sound that mine makes for the first minute or so of driving on a cold start, which I believe is during the engine warm-up cycle. Lasting for 15-20 minutes shouldn't be the case though. I'd definitely bring it in to get checked out under warranty, assuming you still have bumper to bumper on your 2022.

I don't think it's the flex piping based on the sound you shared, but you can check by listening under the car to be sure.

It could be mechanical, but would be tricky to determine the source from that sound alone. Not saying this is the issue, but it almost sounds like the warmup cycle is set to run for too long, like a software glitch. I would recommend asking them to check for any software updates while your at it just in case.

Reactions
Mine does the same thing. All DI engines are rather noisy, and mine is worse after taking off the sound absorbing "housing" around the HPFP

cwsosby

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST Explorer
Hello - We picked up our new 2022 Stone Blue Explorer ST a few months ago and recently I started to notice an odd sound that was probably there from the start. Basically the car has a loud ticking sound that can be heard with the fan on its highest setting (if you listen closely) or clear as day with the fan off. The ticking is from just off idle to about 2000 rpm where the other engine noises drown it out. Also doesn't seem to do it in neutral.

The forum is a treasure trove of information, from that I have gathered it could be the high pressure fuel pump or possibly waste gate rattle. Oddly, the noise doesn't go away until you have driven the car around 20 minutes - the engine has been up to operating temperature way before the 20 minute mark which is confusing.

Has anyone experienced this with there ST. My previous vehicle was a 2021 F150 Lariat with the 2.7, which didn't have any ticking and If I am not mistaken its the same engine family as our 3.0s.

Besides this one issue, love the car. Excellent power, handling, braking, tight body structure and great looks as well.

Thanks everyone
Mine makes this noise as well, but that isn't the only noise it makes. This thing is a rattle can and a clunk machine around town!! I can't wait to trade it on a Grand Cherokee. But it sure does look good and I do love the performance!!