Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Clunking sounds while braking

Fujimo

Reactions
Anyone experience clunking sounds under the drivers side of the vehicle while going slow and applying brakes? I seem to have this issue and it’s very noticeable when backing out of garage or pulling into a parking space. Also noises seem to go away when gas is under 1/2 tank. I have an appointment to take it in next week but wanted to see if anyone had this issue.

Last edited:
OP
Fujimo

Fujimo

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Well my issue was determined to be the fuel tank. What I thought was clunking was actually sloshing fuel, especially when you have 1/2 tank or more. I believe someone else has posted the same concern in this forum. So to update everyone with the same issue my dealer stated Ford is aware of it but still no fix available at this time. Hopefully they get the issue resolved soon.

Last edited:

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Yeah. Definitely the fuel tank. Some idiot decided that mounting the tank running forward to back didn’t require baffles.

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Kinda like every pickup on the road?
Except that pickups have their fuel tanks under the bed for the most part, not under the passenger cabin. Big difference with noise transference.

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I am definitely getting a clicking or clunking sound when I apply the brakes. More noticeable when it is warmer out or when driving for awhile. Only happens at slower speeds but you can feel it in the steering wheel as well and in the brake pedal. Dealer couldn’t find anything but it had been colder. Curious what it could be. I know the fuel tank noise but this is definitely not it. Sounds like a metallic clink almost.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Could be the collision avoidance system, try turning it off and see if the noise goes away. Just press the button on the right hand side just below your sync screen… looks like an Orange road cone on the button. I know when I am backing into or pulling into my garage my 2020 makes some noise but I do know it’s the avoidance system in my case

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yea it’s definitely not that as I don’t have that button on ours. We don’t have the front cameras. It’s just strange because it seems to only do it when it’s warm out or when you’ve been driving awhile and everything is warmed up. Doesn’t happen when braking from speed. Only when moving at slow speeds in parking lots or slow traffic and it’s more noticeable. I’ll try to get some videos.

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ended up being the front brakes. Bad pitting and rust and a big lip on the rotors causing the backplate of the pad to be loose and have some play. Replaced the front brakes completely with new rotors and pads and assembly and the noise is gone. 2022 with 40,500 miles on it. Guess that’s upstate NY wear and tear. And I keep it washed fairly regularly including the winter but it takes its toll