Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Class Action vs. Ford Initiated (Rear Subframe)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
With permission of the officers (who had no idea about the impending recall), I crawled under three PIs. They were all 3 bolt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Good question. If some percentage of interceptors did get the 3 bolt frame and they were replaced, I can see Ford dismissing the issue by saying that because of the nature of the job, there is more stress put on the bolts of an interceptor that wouldn’t occur under “normal use“ of the civilian model. Therefore, we opted to replace the frame in those vehicles.
That would surely be their argument. Mine counter would be, “If normal use was the issue, why did Ford equip a limited series of Explorers with 33% more horsepower and torque; selling them for a higher price? Didn’t they fully expect “normal use” for the more powerful vehicles to be different?”

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
That would surely be their argument. Mine counter would be, “If normal use was the issue, why did Ford equip a limited series of Explorers with 33% more horsepower and torque; selling them for a higher price? Didn’t they fully expect “normal use” for the more powerful vehicles to be different?”
Agree with the counterpoint and not saying that the hypothetical Ford argument makes sense. Was just putting it out there. Good to see folks poking pins in that thought ballon. Hopefully a jury would follow similar logic.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
That still begs the question...why did Ford engineers specify the new ST release to have a 4-bolt subframe while lesser-powered models had a 3-bolt configuration? Also why was the rear subframe changed for later models? That change started in the middle of Covid, with factory slowdowns, labor issues and supply chain shortages.
Valid points. My guess is that Ford would argue (wrongly) that their engineering studies showed that it wasn’t necessary. If that argument was made, then an interesting question would be did the Aviator ever get the 3 bolt frame? From what I recall reading here, the conjecture was they never did. Hence why they weren’t part of the “E-Brake” recall. Since both products have the same engine, why (aside from the fact that the Aviator cost more) did it continue to get the 4 bolt frame if their engineering showed that it wasn’t necessary? Number of vehicles produced?

Also, I seem to recall that there was a thread here were a member had refused delivery because it had a 3 bolt and the dealer replaced the 3 bolt with a 4 bolt. As part of the discussion, they mentioned that the 3 bolt frame had the 4 bolt part tag on it. Leading to a discussion as to if the supplier screwed up and sent mislabelled parts or if it reflected a change on the part of Ford.

Reactions
Ford was being cheap, and the recall was abusive and made the cars less powerful and cumbersome

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
Valid points. My guess is that Ford would argue (wrongly) that their engineering studies showed that it wasn’t necessary. If that argument was made, then an interesting question would be did the Aviator ever get the 3 bolt frame? From what I recall reading here, the conjecture was they never did. Hence why they weren’t part of the “E-Brake” recall. Since both products have the same engine, why (aside from the fact that the Aviator cost more) did it continue to get the 4 bolt frame if their engineering showed that it wasn’t necessary? Number of vehicles produced?

Also, I seem to recall that there was a thread here were a member had refused delivery because it had a 3 bolt and the dealer replaced the 3 bolt with a 4 bolt. As part of the discussion, they mentioned that the 3 bolt frame had the 4 bolt part tag on it. Leading to a discussion as to if the supplier screwed up and sent mislabelled parts or if it reflected a change on the part of Ford.
Is it common to have a 3 bolt failure with stock power levels?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have heard of a handful. I can say that when I replaced my 3 bolt with a 4 bolt, the one diff bolt was bent enough that it didn’t come out very smoothly. I was at stick power when I replaced it. Wanted to get that taken care of before I added power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
Is it common to have a 3 bolt failure with stock power levels?
I would say most I've seen were stock, and some of those failed again soon after a bolt replacement. I even saw a 2.3 XLT break a bolt this past month in one of the Ford groups on FB. That was a first.

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
I would say most I've seen were stock, and some of those failed again soon after a bolt replacement. I even saw a 2.3 XLT break a bolt this past month in one of the Ford groups on FB. That was a first.
Ok thanks, I see Steeda’s new brace is on sale and it looks to be the most robust solution for this problem.

i have a tune currently and I’m planning on adding a IC a and intake and I don’t want to worry about a glass rear end.

Will the braces keep the bolts from breaking or just hold the diff in place once you break it?

Stupid FMC should get sued or at least do a recall on all the 3.0s and do the 4 bolt swap

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Would love to get some cash back for replacing mine at my expense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell no , no money for you !! You did it to show the rest of us how to fix it ! So we all get cash and you are done so you dont get anything ! hahaha...