Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chime Change

Reactions
I almost didn't make this thread because it's so dumb. The chime is completely different in my ST, seemingly overnight.

Installed latest Sync update (v. 22251) via USB 5 days ago, driven daily since.

The chime (welcome/door open, seatbelt, liftgate opening/closing, proximity sensors) is now suddenly completely different. I'm used to how it's been since... forever; presumably through the vehicle's speakers, full sound.

It is now audibly different: quieter, tinny, annoying, and only seems to be coming from somewhere around the steering column, not the speakers. Shutdown/restart did not solve.

I did a quick scan of the in-vehicle settings but found nothing obvious. Hopefully I am just missing something, because it sounds terrible now.

Edit: After searching other forums, this seems common. May be due to low voltage, ACM/BCM readiness, faulty speaker somewhere.... I'll keep my eye on it I guess. Feel free to delete this thread if needed.

Here's a video from somebody else with an older F150 comparing the chimes:

Last edited:
Reactions
I noticed the same thing on mine. Thought I was losing my mind. Following

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
For the first time since updating, I went for a road trip. I noticed what’s apparently a warning of moving across a lane stripe. It doesn’t matter whether I’m actually changing lanes (with signal flashing) or not. It seems the sound comes from the right rear of the cabin. I’ve never heard this before.

hbalek

Reactions
I believe this is a federally mandated safety thing with Fords & Lincolns and probably other brands when the Sync system is down or updating or low votage or other electrical or audio problems. My 2013 Lincoln used to do the same thing once in a while, from the dashboard/steering column area. But on the next restart it would go back to normal. This has only happened once or twice in 3 years with my 2020 Explorer.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Happens every so often in my ST. Never persists.

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Had it on the trickle charger overnight for giggles. Chime back to normal this morning…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For the first time since updating, I went for a road trip. I noticed what’s apparently a warning of moving across a lane stripe. It doesn’t matter whether I’m actually changing lanes (with signal flashing) or not. It seems the sound comes from the right rear of the cabin. I’ve never heard this before.
I believe this is a federally mandated safety thing with Fords & Lincolns and probably other brands when the Sync system is down or updating or low votage or other electrical or audio problems. My 2013 Lincoln used to do the same thing once in a while, from the dashboard/steering column area. But on the next restart it would go back to normal. This has only happened once or twice in 3 years with my 2020 Explorer.
You can turn that off with the buttons on the wheel. You can also set it to gently tug the wheel.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
You can turn that off with the buttons on the wheel. You can also set it to gently tug the wheel.
So are we talking about the lane keeping feature available on the button on the tip of the turn signal switch? Not the lane centering feature on the wheel, but the lane keeping feature. When set to do so the lane keeping will provide feedback.

Reactions
Always happens to me when I flash a new tune from ZFG

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It happens to me very rarely. Otherwise have normal sound.

Explorer ST Posts