Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chattering suspension over bumps... looses traction, uneasy feeling

Mmarfan

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So we just got our ST a few weeks ago. It is a used 2020. I have noticed that under large bumps at higher speeds that the rear end chatters and feels like it looses traction. It's almost like the shocks are blown or really underdamped. It got a Ford CPO check right before I got it, so I'm unsure if that is the issue. I do not have the ST pack on it, so I am unsure that I have the ST sports suspension. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
First thing I would check are the shocks. All ST's have the same suspension. There are different brakes but that does not affect the suspension.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
As above. Plenty of people have reported leaking rear shocks that they had replaced under warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I didn't notice your issue but when I lowered mine at 25K miles, both rear shocks were already leaking. Many others have seen the same. If you're out of warranty, the factory ST shocks are only like $60ea at Rock Auto and a super easy part to replace.

OP
M

Mmarfan

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Well I just took 2 seconds and ran my finger down the shock and sure enough there was hydraulic fluid all over. It’s a shame someone pencil whipped the CPO certification. I’m taking it to the dealer to have them fix it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
While you ave some warranty, it behooves you to really get your car looked at--whether you do it or pay someone else to. This forum has a lot of info on what to look for on the 2020s.

OP
M

Mmarfan

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
While you ave some warranty, it behooves you to really get your car looked at--whether you do it or pay someone else to. This forum has a lot of info on what to look for on the 2020s.
Are there a list of things accumulated somewhere?