Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Changing the rear diff fluid

Reactions
Has anyone changed their rear (or front) diff fluid, and did you really have to put it in neutral before draining/refilling it? That’s what the service manual says I think.

Reactions
I’ve had it done but not done it myself; with that said, I was a lube tech (pit bitch, grease monkey, whatever you want to call me) for 7 years and did diff fluid replacements hundreds of times on many many many 4x4 vehicles, and I’ve never heard of putting anything in neutral to service differentials on typical 4x4 setup. Can’t swear it isn’t correct on these Exploders, but in my experience it was always just a matter of dump out the old and fill with new. I believe both axles on these even have drain plugs so there’s no need to remove the covers or to suction the fluid out.

I haven’t seen the service manual for this model but that sounds more like a transmission service instruction and even then that sounds weird.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
When I did the transfer case drain and fill, it said to be it in neutral also. So that's what I did. Not a big deal.

OP
schaggatron
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
When I did the transfer case drain and fill, it said to be it in neutral also. So that's what I did. Not a big deal.
Thanks. Did you have it up on jack stands or a lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk