Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CF wrap on the mirrors

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks good! (y)

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Looking good. I might try to see what my white ST would look like with white mirrors. Has anyone painted their mirrors the same color as the body, except for black of course?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Looking good. I might try to see what my white ST would look like with white mirrors. Has anyone painted their mirrors the same color as the body, except for black of course?
Cant find the pic but someone did both the A-pillars and the side-view mirror caps in body colored wrap. Looked quite good!

OP
W
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Looks awesome, one piece or two?
You did it yourself or had it done?
It's a DYI job...and not perfect. I did the passenger in one piece, and the Driver side in two, to compare the difference. I like the one piece better. But, I'm concerned that there just isn't enough of a lip at the edges to hold up for very long...the best fit and finish will require removing the caps and wrapping it around the edges and reinstalling the caps.

I ordered another sheet of 5D high gloss and will use that for the final installation...now to figure out how to get he caps off without breaking anything. :)

Blackssr

Reactions
It's a DYI job...and not perfect. I did the passenger in one piece, and the Driver side in two, to compare the difference. I like the one piece better. But, I'm concerned that there just isn't enough of a lip at the edges to hold up for very long...the best fit and finish will require removing the caps and wrapping it around the edges and reinstalling the caps.

I ordered another sheet of 5D high gloss and will use that for the final installation...now to figure out how to get he caps off without breaking anything. :)
I have been fighting with those mirrors for a month now. Can't get it perfect. CK wraps on YouTube does it in one piece. Can you post a few more photos of both mirrors.

Blackssr

Reactions

Same here. I can buy the caps in Carbon Fiber already for 70.00 on ebay but cannot get the OE off. I am not exerting enough force I do not think. If you get the off please share and I will do the same. Here is some of what I did on my ST. I even wrapped the rear wing in black and red Carbon Fiber.

Update: Even cheaper now
For Ford Explorer 2020 2021 Carbon Fiber Color Mirror Cover Rearview Case Cap (ebay.com)

Attachments

Last edited:

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Take the wheel off and pop em from the inside

OP
W
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I have been fighting with those mirrors for a month now. Can't get it perfect. CK wraps on YouTube does it in one piece. Can you post a few more photos of both mirrors.
So, we went for a long drive today and I like the look of the 2 piece installation better from the drivers seat. the lines in the CF pattern are straighter on the inside of the cap because there is much less stretching. ...and yes, CK is a magician! I'll take more detailed pictures when I redo them with the 5D wrap this weekend.

Blackssr

Reactions
So, we went for a long drive today and I like the look of the 2 piece installation better from the drivers seat. the lines in the CF pattern are straighter on the inside of the cap because there is much less stretching. ...and yes, CK is a magician! I'll take more detailed pictures when I redo them with the 5D wrap this weekend.
More photos please. I can do it in 2 pieces. I just want to get it done in one.

Did you see the tool he (CK Wraps) has to wrap the mirrors in one piece. It looks like a racket ball racket. He pre-stretches the film, loads in the racket and in one swift move the mirror is wrapped in one piece. WTF? LOL. He also wraps the XM antenna in one piece. He is like the Siegfried and Roy (RIP) of wraps. And it is freaking cold where he is. If it below 70, the wife and I break out our Ski apparel. He wraps in a tee shirt.

Last edited:
OP
W
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
More photos please. I can do it in 2 pieces. I just want to get it done in one.

Did you see the tool he (CK Wraps) has to wrap the mirrors in one piece. It looks like a racket ball racket. He pre-stretches the film, loads in the racket and in one swift move the mirror is wrapped in one piece. WTF? LOL. He also wraps the XM antenna in one piece. He is like the Siegfried and Roy (RIP) of wraps. And it is freaking cold where he is. If it below 70, the wife break out our Ski apparel. He wraps in a tee shirt.
Yes, the Wrap-U-Ezee....you can get it here, tho it's back ordered right now. http://www.yellotools.us/Car-Wrapping/Car-Wrapping-Tools/Wrap-U-Ezee-BackOrder.html If the sun is out tomorrow I'll grab some more pics of the one piece...

Blackssr

Reactions
OP
W
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Both please. Thanks. LOL
Please ignore the dirt...our spring pollen storms have started... :)

CF_outside.jpg
...you can see I ended up with some back wrinkles on the one piece and the lines get wavy from the stretching. Although you can see the seam on the two piece, its not noticeable when the mirrors are out.

CF_inside.jpg
and from the inside, the two-piece on the drivers side looks much better too...

Blackssr

Reactions
I have only been happy when I did 2 piece also. I lined the pattern up where the seam was nearly undetectable. Yours looks really good in 2 piece, one piece not so good. Boy CK wraps makes it look easy. I leave for LA on Sat, my partner is on her Honeymoon and need to look after some investment property issues that turned up. When I return, I will try again. Thanks for posting the picture.