Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CATCH CAN IN COLD CLIMATE.

King7878

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
Has anyone had any issues with installation/ use of catch can setups in cold -40 climates? Car only parks in heated garage 50 % of time.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I haven't had any problems. My ST is parked outside all the time. It doesn't get as cold in Ohio as Alberta.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Has anyone had any issues with installation/ use of catch can setups in cold -40 climates? Car only parks in heated garage 50 % of time.

This is a trick question. It doesn't really matter how much time it spends in the garage, if the catch can actually get down to -40 degrees for any real period of time, it could perhaps freeze. This is dependent on how full the can is and what level of the condensate is water.

So... yeah, it could be a problem. I've not read of any Explorers having the issues. I've read that several F150s have had issues.

Reactions
So far with my catch can I have not had any issues with freezing in the 3 year having it. During the winter I check it every 2 weeks versus once a month during warmer weather.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Of that other 50% as long as it is started occasionally you won't have any issues in a colder climate.

Explorer ST Posts