Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CAT BACKS

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
I need some advice. I looking into replacing my exhaust. I can't makeup my mind between the following.
1. Thermal RD
2. BORLA
3. MAGNAFLOW
I'm leaning toward Thermal RD.

Please advise. I have 2020 Ford ST Silver Spruce color.

Thank you.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Pick the one that sounds the best to you…a cat back is nothing more than a new exhaust note on these cars.

F=MA

Reactions
Magnaflow has a 1500 to 2000 rpm drone. Ok on the highway if you leave it in 8th gear to increase rpm's past the drone zone. Magnaflow is lower grade stainless steel that will rust sooner than the Borla and Thermal. Borla is good except for the 2.25 inch piping and no mid pipes. Borla pipe size may become an issue if you heavily mod the ST up. I like Thermal 2.5 the best. Quiet until you punch it. Zero drone and 2.5 piping.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #4
Magnaflow has a 1500 to 2000 rpm drone. Ok on the highway if you leave it in 8th gear to increase rpm's past the drone zone. Magnaflow is lower grade stainless steel that will rust sooner than the Borla and Thermal. Borla is good except for the 2.25 inch piping and no mid pipes. Borla pipe size may become an issue if you heavily mod the ST up. I like Thermal 2.5 the best. Quiet until you punch it. Zero drone and 2.5 piping.
This is the one I'm looking at.

NEW !!! THE THERMAL R&D 3" DOWNPIPE BACK FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM. EXPECT AN AGGRESSIVE EXHAUST NOTE AT IDLE AND WIDE OPEN THROTTLE YET LITTLE TO NO INTERIOR DRONE WHEN AT CRUISE OR HIGHWAY DRIVING. THIS 3" EXHAUST IS SUITABLE FOR STOCK ST'S ALL THE WAY TO FULLY MODIFIED HIGH POWER BUILDS

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #5

NEW !!! THE THERMAL R&D 3" DOWNPIPE BACK FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM. EXPECT AN AGGRESSIVE EXHAUST NOTE AT IDLE AND WIDE OPEN THROTTLE YET LITTLE TO NO INTERIOR DRONE WHEN AT CRUISE OR HIGHWAY DRIVING. THIS 3" EXHAUST IS SUITABLE FOR STOCK ST'S ALL THE WAY TO FULLY MODIFIED HIGH POWER BUILDS
System Specs:
  • T304 - 3" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Tubing
  • Brushed finish rear Helmholtz Chambers
  • Mounts to OEM , SPD , or any aftermarket downpipes
  • 3" mid pipes with proper flex sections "no noise like OEM mids"
  • Utilizes OEM Hangers, Tips Fits OEM Valance perfectly
  • No Cutting or Welding Required
  • Ceramic Coated BLACK or POLISHED Tips available

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
System Specs:
  • T304 - 3" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Tubing
  • Brushed finish rear Helmholtz Chambers
  • Mounts to OEM , SPD , or any aftermarket downpipes
  • 3" mid pipes with proper flex sections "no noise like OEM mids"
  • Utilizes OEM Hangers, Tips Fits OEM Valance perfectly
  • No Cutting or Welding Required
  • Ceramic Coated BLACK or POLISHED Tips available
I have the Borla S-type on our ST and enjoy it, absolutely no drone at any speed.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the Thermal setup you are looking at. As @UNBROKEN mentioned, just upgrading your exhaust with light performance mods is just for sound and performance is not a factor.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #8
Thank you. I think I will stay with Thermal.

Reactions

I had the Thermal 3” installed yesterday and love it! Wayyyyy better than the Gibson Catback that I renamed Gibson Rattleback! Also had the Thermal Leakpipes, I mean mid-pipes removed lesson learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #10
I had the Thermal 3” installed yesterday and love it! Wayyyyy better than the Gibson Catback that I renamed Gibson Rattleback! Also had the Thermal Leakpipes, I mean mid-pipes removed lesson learned

So you say the Thermal 3" is the way to go?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #11
What the thought of the MBRP CAT BACK ? I need some feed back. Their price is much less that the ones first mentioned. I know that sometimes you get what you pay for but these look vey compatible in many specs.

Reactions
What the thought of the MBRP CAT BACK ? I need some feed back. Their price is much less that the ones first mentioned. I know that sometimes you get what you pay for but these look vey compatible in many specs.
I like the sound of my mbrp, no drone driving on the highway with stock dp's. Thermal definitely sounds better in person tho.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #13
I like the sound of my mbrp, no drone driving on the highway with stock dp's. Thermal definitely sounds better in person tho.
Thank you. This is getting hard for me, because I have never done a cat back before, so far most have guided me to the Thermal cut back. The mbrp are about $400 less. I guess that is the way I'll go. Any more guidance from anyone ?

Reactions
Thank you. This is getting hard for me, because I have never done a cat back before, so far most have guided me to the Thermal cut back. The mbrp are about $400 less. I guess that is the way I'll go. Any more guidance from anyone ?
I would go with the Thermal and just be done with it. I wasted $1200 not going that route the first time.

Reactions
Between my 2020 and my 2022 I’ve had a Borla S and a Gibson system.
I now have a Thermal 2.5 inch and I would never have anything else. As we all know there is basically no performance gains from these exhaust systems. It comes down to how you want it to sound and the Thermal has a great sound, at idle and with your foot in it!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Between my 2020 and my 2022 I’ve had a Borla S and a Gibson system.
I now have a Thermal 2.5 inch and I would never have anything else. As we all know there is basically no performance gains from these exhaust systems. It comes down to how you want it to sound and the Thermal has a great sound, at idle and with your foot in it!
STJIM did you move from Ky to Fla??

F=MA

Reactions
I have had Borla S, Magnaflow and Thermal 2.5. Love the Thermal 2.5. Thermal 3.0 sounds like a tractor to me. Could be the aftermarket downpipes that makes them sound like that.

Last edited:

Twm21ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
Just ordered thermal 2.5 system with black tips today. It's currently on sale from thermal for 1k shipped. Crazy deal